how to fix babies plugged tear duct??

i have been massageing and using a awarm cloth for alomost 5 months and it still is plugged ,his eye looks awful and sore. Can i use any kind of medicine i've heard you can use drops for stys.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask the dr about usng over the counter medicine for blocked tear ducts. my son had it pretty bad, and the hospital at birth, gave us some stuff...cant remember what its called.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• ask your doctor for ethromyicin. But just use ti to keep the skin around the eye in good shape. Usually it clears up on it's own but if it hasn't by the time they are 18 months they will need a simple procedure done to remove the blockage but a doc wont do much until that point. I hear ya though we have been massaging and using warm compresses fro 8 months but it has gotten better I am betting it will be cleared up by the time he is 18 months. Just stick to it and be diligent about keeping the skin in good shape. OH yeah and you can get drops to decrease tear production in the clogged eye but is just to treat symptoms it wont solve the problem and we dont even use them
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My little girl had a blocked tear duct and our pediatrician told us to put a warm compress (luke warm) on it as often as she would let us. It should clear up on it's own, but if it doesn't then definitely take her to the doctor.
    snb216

Answer by snb216 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my dr. tod me to wash my hands then massage the inside corner and a little bit down the side of the nose and sometimes a green goober comes out and it fixed. so I did that 3x a day and by the second day, she was fine.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• breastmilk

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009