I am stressing about which decision to make.

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been stressing a lot at work latley.My main boss is out right now due to medicas issues and wont be back or a while. The new guy is a real wienie. Anyways i am considering quiting and working in my husbands family restaurant for a while until the baby comes and then i would be able to be off easier afterwards if something came up. right now where i work it is such an inconvience if my child is sick or i have an appt or as to be gone for 5 minutes. Plus i don't get my messages (not even when it is about my daughter) . But what i am worried about is i would be working for $2.00 less that what i make now. And right now we have a lot of bills that we are trying to pay and keep up with. I just don't know for sure if we would be able to make it. It doesn' tsound like much less but it can be if something happens or when i am off having the baby. Should i stick it out where i am?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• If this were me, this is what I would do.

I would continue working where I am. I would use them for their maternity leave, take my family leave afterward, and then quit to work at the family restaurant.

but, thats just me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh, i don't have maternity leave pay. It is a small company. I am the only office help. when i had my first, i was only off for 2 weeks, then i came back. I knew i couldn't afford to be off much longer than that with out any pay. Does that make any difference.
    Anonymous

• If you have insurance or maternity leave benefits where you are now, then it might be worth staying. Also, if the job you have now is less physically demanding than the restaurant, then that is also something to consider. If you think you can stick it out at least until you leave to have the baby, then maybe you can use that extra $2/hr to pay off any bills or to save to buy diapers. If the restaurant job will be available later, you might consider waiting to switch until after your baby is born and you're ready to go back to work. You may completely change your mind about a lot of plans once the baby is born, and your husband may also think differently at that point.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• What state do you live in? I am doing some research, but laws vary from state to state.

Also, how many employees do you think there are total?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Texas, there are a total of 8 employees
    Anonymous

• And, if you have been there 12 months, you get your family leave regardless of the company size. That is through the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Take the other job, and look for a way to make up the difference in pay. PM me if you want ideas.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Since you don't get paid maternity leave in Texas (and there are no state laws about maternity leave there, only the federal family leave which is a no-pay leave unless specified by the state) this is what I would do:

I would continue to work at my current job making more money. Like a PP said, it is less stress on your body than working in a restaurant.
    When it is time for you to leave (I would leave at 37 or 38 weeks) instead of putting in a notice for maternity leave, I would put in my notice of self-termination of employment.
    Then continue on to the restaurant after I have spent time with my new baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If you're not sure you'd be able to make it, I'd find out for sure by writing up an actual budget on paper. That at least will give you an answer on that front. Then calculate out with the two prospective net incomes. Could the bills be paid off, (though maybe not as quickly) with the restaurant job? Or would it be impossible? Then figure if the stressful job would actually do it. Talk it out with your husband. He may have an idea on what he could do to pull in the difference, if only for the short term. It would be a big load off if you could knock dowm the debt before the baby comes, but not at your health's expense.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You shouldn't work somewhere that makes you stressed...sure the family business might be more physically demanding but how about mentally/emotionally? And being that it's family business don't you think they'd give you a little leeway. If you have no real leave rights at current job then figure budget out & leave where your stressed & go to work for the family. You didn't say when your original boss would be back...maybe if you leave on good terms now you could always go back after he returns & you've had the baby. The emotional/mental stress could be just as bad or worse than physically demanding job on your babies/your health right now so see if the family business would still be financially sound as far as your bills go & go for it. Good luck.
    3Dani75

Answer by 3Dani75 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009