Have you ever had a c-section because you were afraid of the pain or because it was more convenient with your "busy" schedule?

i have had 2 sections 1 unplanned and 1 planned. the first was necessary because she was too big the second was planned because we were not sure is she was too big or not. i am pregnant and having a 3rd section sept 17th at 9am planned but also medically necessary because of my scar tissue from the previous 2 if i have a vbac i could rupture my uterus. just curious as to why some woman opt for it over regular labor and delivery.

BlendedMommy009

Asked by BlendedMommy009 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No.
    But my best friend wants to have one just because she thinks it will be easier. I don't know about that, I've hear both ways!
    Plus, she already pees her pants every time she laughs and I think she's afraid the "trauma" of giving birth with exacerbate that problem for her! (And she won't do kegels- stubborn weirdo)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have had 3 Vag. births...the last one was a close call. He wouldn't move down and they said if he didn't I was headed for a c section! I was terrified! I wouldn't want to have one. My SIL had 3 and her recover took WAY longer then mine. I was up and about the same day, she was doing good to be aware of her surrounding (pain meds) the same day! Plus she swears that her belly mucles are so torn up she will need a nip/tuck to be "normal" again. I wonder if those who plan it for their first for the reasons you stated take into account the after stuff?! Great Question!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had an emergency c-section when my sons heart rate dropped during full flown labor, I had no drugs on board while I was in labor and to be honest in the deep dark secretive part of my heart I was relieved to have a c-section. I was prepared for the pain of a surgery since I had had abdominal surgeries before but I was terrified of the unknown of pushing a baby out a hole the size of a piece of fruit. None the less I do hope to go VBAC next time
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've done both, and I would never choose a c-section over a vaginal delivery.

My cousin, on the other hand, was induced with her first and ended up having a c-section when she didn't progress and the baby was stressed. She told me that she would definitely be having a c-section next time because she could "enjoy it" more (her words, not mine). She was also one of those who didn't do anything for 2 months after her baby was born BECAUSE of the c-section - I think she likes being waited on and being the center of attention. She had EVERYONE convinced that she had it SO rough and needed so much help. I was up with my TWO babies the first night home after my c-section, so maybe if I'd been convinced I was a princess like her I would have been happier with it too.
    Anonymous

• I personally have only had a vaginal delivery. My mom had 4 c-sections. Two were "emergencies" but after a little research into it only one of them was truly necessary. I of course do not blame her. They did the best with the knowledge they had at the time. The other 2 were planned.

I do NOT agree with planned c-sections unless there is a TRUE medical reason behind them. The ACOG does NOT condone non medically necessary c-sections and the World Health Organization says our c-section rate is more the TWICE what it should be.

Both organizations also say that it's unethical for a doctor to do a non medically necessary c-section because of the risk they pose to mom and baby. They are to be used as life saving messures.
    Anonymous

• I have had 2 sections. My first one was not planned, but I stopped dialating. My second one I planned because I was not about to go thru the labor as I did the first one!! It was awful. I'm glad I chose this. When I had my daughter, the dr. had said that my uterus was very thin and would've caused alot of problems if I tried the vbac. Glad I had a section.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have one vag delivery and one section. I would rather the vaginal any day of the week! The pain was worse at the moment, but the recovery time was so much quicker and easier. I was down for weeks after my section!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I never have understood why someone would want to have a c-section to avoid pain. I never was able to have a vaginal birth, but judging from my friends who did, c-scetions are no less painful.

Mine were all medically necessary.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Way back in the day when I was born, my mom had a c-section. They assumed that I was too big for her and scheduled it. She was tiny...4'10" and 90lbs. On my birthday, she was 145lbs...and I was born weighing 8lbs 14 oz and 23in long. I believe they were right, but, it was an awful recovery for her and she ended up going into shock for a bit. I had a natural drug free birth with my son and it was a breeze. I don't know why one would think it was easier to have a c-section.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My sister had to have a c-section with her first because she was breech. Now, with her son, who is due in July, she has planned a c-section from the start, because apparently you're more likely to need one after you've had one. Plus, for her, recovery from her c-section was really a snap. She had no problems at all. *knock on wood*
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009