Is anyone else NOT in a hurry to wean your baby from the bottle by 12 months?

I'm not going to. And you can call me every mean name you can.

My daughter gets 4-5 bottles per day. She sits in my lap for her bottle feedings, and I'm the one who holds the bottles. When she is done, the bottle goes into the kitchen sink. She doesn't walk around with them all day long. She doesn't take them to bed with her. She does take a sippy, but will only drink water from it.

I understand what the AAP recommends, but I'm going to wait until closer until 18 months before weaning her completely. The only time she and I get to cuddle is when she's having a bottle...call me selfish, but I'm not in a rush to end those cuddle times! My baby is SUPER busy, and doesn't sit still for long periods, except for when she has a bottle!

Anyone else in my shoes?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 3:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't rush my children to arbitrary milestones, I watch them for signs of readiness for things- I will not allow pressure from others to disrupt a natural flow between my children and myself, I recognize thier readiness signs and let them set the pace for their development- so far this has worked fine and my oldest in nearly sixteen. I think the current "my kid is already doing -insert anything imaginable here" is ridiculous and does a disservice to mother and child alike. Of course you need to be pro-active and supportive and guiding in every positive way- but I have found that my low pressure approach is sooo much easier on all of us! The kids don't end up anxiety ridden and tormented and I don't have to bully them in a direction some book or mom at playgroup says is right.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my "goal" was at least one year. my son self-weaned 3 days after his first bday. I would have nursed longer if he wasnt ready!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son took his bottle until he was 2. I did the same thing, I let him drink it and when it was gone it was in the sink. As long as she's eating solids too, it should be fine. But I think that 5 bottles is way too much. That's 40 oz of milk a day! It should only be about half of that, so she can feel hungry and adapt to eating solids rather than drinking her nutrition.
    Anonymous

• OP

Anon, she only gets 16-20 ounces of formula per day!! She will only drink 4 ounces at a time. That's why there are a lot of bottles! :-)
    Anonymous

• It's awesome that you properly bottlefeed. And keeping it for bonding time isn't selfish at all. Bonding is always beneficial. But that doesn't mean the negatives of the bottle still aren't there. It's not the bottle you or the baby needs. So it's more than ok to get rid of it. An important part of weaning from anything is getting extra love and cuddle time to help make up for what's being taken. So as long as you do that, you shouldn't have to try to keep the bottle and all it's risks. Again, it sooo good to see someone bottlefeeding the right way =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Can you try the same routine with a sippy cup? You can still hold the sippy cup... It's still a bonding experience... but the risks aren't there.
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 17 mo and we just got her off of the bottle about a month ago. She was very resistant to using a sippy cup and we didn't force it on her.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• GOOD FOR YOU!
    You have evaluated YOUR child and YOUR family and are doing what works for YOU! So many moms don't. WAY TO GO!

And just so you know - my daughter was off of bottles by about 14 months except for bedtime. She had to have a bottle of water then. I decided what was best for her needs and let her keep it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My mother is an early childhood education and is on the board of education for wisconsin. she has been doing this for 25 years and has access to the latest studies and articles on child development. There was a study out that said pulling that sucking action from a child too soon makes them more likely to smoke. She encouraged me to read my sons cues for when he is READY to go to the sippy cup. Not when WIC says he should. I think those straw cups are just the coolest transition because they are still sucking but it is still age appropriate to suck on a straw when they are 5 LOL. Kudos to you mama and I am right on board with you!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• There really isn't anything wrong with what you are doing. Since she will take a sippy cup for water try and get her to take formula from it. In the end it will be better for her teeth.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009