Is it normal to lose weight when you're about 6 months pregnant?

I'm 6 months pregnant and I've discovered that I've lost about 5 lbs. I personally didn't notice, my SO did when he went to grab my pant loop to get my attention and noticed my pants stretched further out. But now I can see that my pants and shorts are a little looser. I haven't stopped eating, in fact I eat very healthy and take vitamins. I feel fine and the baby feels active still so is this bad?

xCalliex

Asked by xCalliex at 3:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• depends on where you're losing it, you should be gaining around a pound a week at this point so you may want to take it up with your doctor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• no it's not bad. I was in the clinic on Monday and since last frieday i've lost 2 lbs but my uterus height increased by 5.5 cm, meaning I have lost more than just 2 lbs, most likely. I'm 32 weeks, with the loss of 2lbs it brings my total weight gain this pregnancy to 6lbs. With my first I only gained 7lbs. If you are over weight it is normal, also if you are eating better. If your dr isn't concerned I wouldn't worry about it.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I wasn't overweight when I got pregnant and at first they told me I wasn't gaining enough weight, but that the baby was healthy and growing normal. Then I finally gained some weight and now I've lost some. I just find it weird. But my stomach doesn't seem smaller so I guess that's good?
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 3:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You should be fine still. Your baby will get what nutrients it needs before your body will, so I wouldnt worry as long as you are feeling fine. I have been loosing weight since the weather turned nice out, after gaining way to much over the winter, and the Dr and I just think it is because I have been alot more active, and the baby is pressing on my belly more making me get full faster and not eating as much overall. I am sure things are fine for you too, but like you have already been told if you are still worried talk to your Dr about it. Good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I just had a checkup on Friday and was told I was losing weight. My doctor didn't seem too concerned. He said as long as I'm eating right and not starving, the baby will take all his/her nutrients first. So I think your doing pretty good by eating right! He mentioned that some women think they need to eat for two when in reality all you should gain is 1lb a week. Talk to your doctor if it continues and take care!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 5:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009