"Someone" I know is feeding their 7 week old baby 2-3 ounces of WATER several times a day. The baby has gone from 7 pounds at birth to approx. 5.5 lbs now. The mother is a former druggie and seems detached from the baby. Should I call child services????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a former CPS investigator. You should call child protective services NOW. Also, you need to know it can take up to a week from when you report it to when it reaches the local offices and is investigated. I would also call your local police department's non-emergency number and let them know what is going on so that someone can step in today and make sure that baby isn't failure to thrive.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes, yes you should. That baby is malnourished and needs care and attention ASAP.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• cps will take the child and it'll be a hell of a battle for her to get it back. make sure you're not making assumptions
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree. Call asap.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yes, I think you had better. Especially if you're sure about this situation.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yes that is a form of child abuse!! that baby needs to be in the care of somebody that will take care of them!! I would definately call child services asap
    ccpniowa2007

Answer by ccpniowa2007 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I hope you have made the call by now but if you havent go RIGHT NOW! That is child abuse and that baby could DIE if someone doesnt rush to its rescue RIGHT NOW!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes, if nothing is wrong they will not do anything but if what you say is true, then they will get the help the baby needs ASAP and help the mom as well if she wants to be a mom. Ex druggie could be a user now or postpartum depression.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Call them now before that baby dies.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yes i would get that baby out of there!
    indianlove

Answer by indianlove at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009