Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Someone" I know is feeding their 7 week old baby 2-3 ounces of WATER several times a day. The baby has gone from 7 pounds at birth to approx. 5.5 lbs now. The mother is a former druggie and seems detached from the baby. Should I call child services????


Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

This question is closed.
Answers (76)
  • I am a former CPS investigator. You should call child protective services NOW. Also, you need to know it can take up to a week from when you report it to when it reaches the local offices and is investigated. I would also call your local police department's non-emergency number and let them know what is going on so that someone can step in today and make sure that baby isn't failure to thrive.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • Yes, yes you should. That baby is malnourished and needs care and attention ASAP.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • cps will take the child and it'll be a hell of a battle for her to get it back. make sure you're not making assumptions

    Answer by staciandababy at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I agree. Call asap.

    Answer by lostshel at 3:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • yes, I think you had better. Especially if you're sure about this situation.

    Answer by sfwilson at 3:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • yes that is a form of child abuse!! that baby needs to be in the care of somebody that will take care of them!! I would definately call child services asap

    Answer by ccpniowa2007 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I hope you have made the call by now but if you havent go RIGHT NOW! That is child abuse and that baby could DIE if someone doesnt rush to its rescue RIGHT NOW!

    Answer by katiekruschke at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • Yes, if nothing is wrong they will not do anything but if what you say is true, then they will get the help the baby needs ASAP and help the mom as well if she wants to be a mom. Ex druggie could be a user now or postpartum depression.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • Call them now before that baby dies.

    Answer by Duckieglc at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • yes i would get that baby out of there!

    Answer by indianlove at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009