how can i lose weight but still breastfeed?

My son is 3 months old and I'm breastfeeding. I'm still the same weight as when I had my post partum ck up. How can I lose weight but still get the right nutrients for my baby?

VincentVictor

Asked by VincentVictor at 3:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Keep nursing- you will probably lose weight. I got skinnier than I was when I got pregnant. Plus, there's nothing that says you can't exercise and eat well while nursing- in fact, it's recommended!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My doctor told me breastfeeding your baby exclusively burns an extra 500 calories PER DAY.

Go on Google and find a BMR calculator. (Base Metabolic Rate). This will help you figure out your metabolism (fast, slow or anywhere in between).

Depending on how active you are, you then multiply your BMR by a factor to determine how many calories you need to maintain your current weight.

Whatever that number is, try to eat a balanced, healthy diet near that number. Because you're already burning an additional 500 calories a day nursing, you don't *need* to diet. Most plans will recommend you don't eat less than 500-700 calories below your BMR simply because it screws up your metabolism and causes your body to go into a survival mode where you actually stop losing weight.

geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would start with simple changes.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day
    Replace meat and dairy with bean, lentils and tofu. Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with an iron source (like kale or beans) to increase the absorption of the iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Hang in there! Along with the diet and exercise the PP have suggested, keep BFing. LO is 5 months old, and that weight is finally starting to come off. I hear more weight comes off easily with continued BFing.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009