Swimming Lessons

What is the average age to start swimming lessons?

GreenUtopia

Asked by GreenUtopia at 3:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know the average but mine is nearly 3. We are in the Parent & Tot class at the YMCA and she is learning a lot - how to climb out, jump in, float on her back. She will start the non-mommy class in the fall after her birthday... 3 is the youngest the Y will start independent lessons.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mommy and me style class as young as six weeks! But for real lessons I would say look here I found this online

What’s the best age to start?

Our philosophy is: the sooner the better, but it’s never too late. As soon as babies come out of the birth canal, they are ready to swim. We typically wait until the umbilical cord falls off and there’s a bit of head and neck control; 3 months is a great age. T

Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I started swim lessons at 6 months but my kids had to wait longer due to ear infections and tubes. Both my kids (ds is 4 and dd is 7) will be doing swim lessons this summer. I would have liked to have started them sooner but dd's tubes just fell out not to long ago and ds is finally over the repetative ear infections.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I never put my kids in formal swimming lessons, but I started working with them myself in our own pool when they were around a year old. In terms of formal lessons, I think it would be best to call around and find out what age places will accept them. Every place is different, and you may find that the one you'd really like to use needs him/her to be older than other places.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I never have used a swim class for my son until now. I have a pool and it's bigger than last year and I would like to see what the class teaches the both of us. Being a SAHM I would love for him to see other little ones swim to and plus meet other moms. LOL.... Really my son has been swimming since he was a infant. He was a great swimmer last year ,but I would like for him to learn to be safe around water.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We started lessons at around 3.5. Next year she will start lifesaving classes and is hoping to become a lifeguard at 16.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son(17 months) and I will be starting a mommy & me class next week. He was in a pool last year and loved it so I hope he feels the same this year. The point of taking the class is not really for him to actually learn(he's IS only 17month), but to have some special time for "us" and to get him comfortable with the pool. We'll see how it goes:)
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009