Epidurals?

This is my first pregnancy. It was unplanned. I didnt even see myself having a child till I was at least in my late 20's(I'm 22). Anyhow, I'm kind of over doing the research and I saw a video last night of a woman giving birth from the doctors point of view. Man, was it scary. Then I watched a video on Epidurals and it bugged me out how they say you have to be completely still while they stick that HUGE needle in your back EEEKKK!!
How was your experiences with Epidurals???
Did you still feel pain during birth?
How many of you teared your first time?

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 3:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• RELAX, take a deep breath! I remember feeling that same way with my first. I would def. recommend the epi but it depends on your tolerance of pain. It was a beautiful drug for me! Yes, you have to remain still but the anesthesiologist (SP) and the nurse will guide you through every step of the process. For me, the epi itself was not painful, just a little sting with the needle going in and then a weird pinch when he finally finds the space for the catheter. The needle only guides in the catheter so the needle does not go in very far. Once it's in, you're free to move and relax and it is WONDERFUL!
    I did tear my entire perineum the first time, and had stitches. With the epi i felt nothing, and birth itself was not painful for me either. Tearing is usually inevitable for most first pregnancies but the doctors know what they're doing and they will fix it right away. The stitches aren't painful and dissolve on their own. GL!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• BTW, watching those videos is not a good idea in your first pregnancy! I did the same thing and they only freaked me out more. I know you're curious but try to tell yourself every pregnancy/delivery is different and don't compare their experiences with what yours might be.
    tnm786

• i didnt feel them do the epidural. yes you have to stay still but my suggestion to you is: if you choose and epidural, close your eyes and never look at the needle. i never saw mine and i had to get my epidural 2 times.
    i felt pain when i was actually pushing but it was more pressure than anything. alot of pressure. you will be sore after birth and i was sore for a few weeks after.
    as far as tearing, my son weighed 7 lbs 14 ozs and was 21 inches long. i tore and then they cut me. i never felt the tear or the cut. i didnt even know that i tore until someone told me. i knew they were about to cut me because i saw them grab the scapel but i never felt it. i dont know if that is because of the epi or because i was so focused on what i was doing and the pressure i was feeling from it. good luck :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I originally thought I didn't want the epidural, but four hours into excrutiating contractions I changed my mind!! I just held on to my hubby's shoulders when they put the needle in. Little sting but nothing compared to the pain of the contractions. After it kicked in I was in Heaven! And my labor went quickly after I got the epi. I did tear, but of course didn't feel that or the doc stitching me up thanks to the epidural. After it wore off I was sore but only a couple of weeks, then it started to get better. Good luck, you'll do great. You're stronger than you know!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I LOVED my epidural. Trust me, it looks worse than it is, and it only take a minute or two. Not to mention your usually in so much pain you cant really move as it is. For it (i've had 2) it was a wonderful decision. They allowed me to relax and enjoy the births of my kids w/o out the agony.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think it is really important to educate yourself in a way that gives you a balanced understanding. It is so important for women to understand that if they educate themselves properly, then there is no need for fear, and when there is no fear there is often no need for drugs and interventions, but if that is still their choice, then they have made it well-informed! No matter what you decide to do, you should be completely aware that hospitals and physicians are not the most reliable sources of good information on childbirth simply because so much of what they do is for the sake of covering their butts, keeping their insurance, and reducing the amount of time they spend.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I was induced with my first pregnancy and honestly the contractions were SO bad that I didn't feel a THING when they placed the epidural in. I leaned over this little table (the ones they put your food on in the hospital) and my husband placed his hands over my sholders to help me stay still. I never felt another contraction after he started the epidural.

I was so tired from the contractions that I fell asleep on the table. LOL

I only tore a tiny, tiny little bit and only required 1 stitch.

I would suggest doing some research on natural birth and on different birthing positions because even though my epi was effective it's not something I would do again. I would also not be induced again.

Just make sure that you are FULLY informed about birth not just about the drugs. I only knew about what drugs I could have and how the hospital procedures worked the 1st time and I regretted it.

GOOD LUCK!! CONGRATS!!
    Anonymous

• lol tnm, I know, my mother told me to stay away from the videos too but I am so nervous it drives me nuts. I keep telling myself if I know what kind of pain I'll be in, maybe it wont hurt as much. I will say one thing, while I was watching the video, the woman giving birth was screaming until she saw half her baby's body. At that point, although she was still whining a little, she was laughing and smiling at the sight of her baby. I'll just keep telling myself to wait wait wait till I see my baby :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Epidurals freak me out but its my first time and I am terrified of the pain. Just gonna have to stay REALLY still. lol
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I didnt read all the responses so if I am repeating anyone sorry. I had an epidural 2 times, I loved it the first time and hated it the second time. My first time I only had it for about 2 hours, through the worst part of labor and I felt the urge to push etc but no pain. My 2nd, I could still feel pain, couldnt feel to push, and my arms went numb abd I couldnt even hold my daughter for an hour because I couldnt feel them. I wanted to change positions because it hurt to lie on my back but at the same time I couldnt move. Also, look at the side effects of it if you are really considering it. The major ones are lowered blood pressure (which canmeananything from c-section, to just wearing an oxygen mask) and failure to progress (which alot of Drs will want to do a c-section for also) because you loose muscle tone and cant change position for the baby to decend the optimal way.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009