Any body else have trouble getting their three year old (s) to eat. Mine are so picking and I worry about their health. Any comments of pediasure?

TWINSGH2005

Asked by TWINSGH2005 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I want to know too.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If you continue to offer ffods that are good for them they will eat. Sometimes it is not the amount of food they eat but the value of that food. Just because a child can eat a box of mac and cheese just because he wont eat anything else....well that isn't a great solution. Offer the foods that are good for them and at least you know what they are eating is healthy. I also tend to hide some things that my kids never know are there. Mac and cheese usually has pureed carrots or squash in it. My kids have no idea. anything with tomato sauce has chopped spinach in it. If the kids ask, I just tell them that is an herb. I have been creative with my cooking for years but there is a cookbook out Deceptively Deliciouos I think it is called. It was done by Jerry Seinfelds wife. All her recipes have hidden purees and healthy extras. Good luck.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Quite frankly, if they get hungry enough, they will eat, and they will eat whatever you put in front of them. Giving them a chocolate/strawberry/vanilla drink is just going to encourage them to keep up with not eating.
    Keep giving them the foods that you want them to eat and at some point they will eat it. There is nothing wrong with mac and cheese sometimes, but not everyday. My kids can have it once a week.
    Try english muffin pizzas, and small fun stuff like that. They can help put the toppings on and because they helped, they are more likely to eat it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• This is the age where picky eaters are made or broken. First, set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods. Next, kids love to dip: fruit in yogurt, veggies in hummus or salad dressing, whole wheat pasta & steamed veggies in marinara. Kids really love to help in the kitchen; get a kids cookbook at the library (Pretend Soup is my fave), and let him/her pick a recipe for the two of you to prepare. Put down a dish with frozen peas and frozen blueberries.Take your child to the grocery store and let her/him pick up a new fruit or vegetable to introduce to the family. We have the 3 bite rule: you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it then you get (whole grain) toast with peanut butter & honey & an apple. Even Dad does this on occasion.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and they will get eaten. If you would like some family and budget friendly recipes, contact me.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mine doesnt eat much either. I give him those instant breakfast things with milk. I call them milk-shakes and he loves them. I couldnt get him to drink the pedisure. They do taste thick.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my son loves pediasure he wount eat meat and the dr told me to make him drink at least one so he gets his before bed and it works great cause he is getting the nutriants he is not getting form the meat but he also loves his fruits and veggies
    missmomzymouse2

Answer by missmomzymouse2 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• We have done them in the past and my daughter loved them. She is underweight, so we were using them for weight gain. However, after so long of having one every other day, she started throwing up on em. Not only that, they are like $9 for a 6 pack.
    As far as other people saying kids will eventually get hungry...I don't personally agree with this theory. You can cause them to get dehydrated by holding foods/fluids from em. I do agree with trying the foods they don't seem to care for. Try different textures, colors, shapes, and try them at different times. Example...if you have a child that doesn't like pancakes for breakfast, try it at supper.
    alyssasmom11007

Answer by alyssasmom11007 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009