Did you/are you breastfeeding?

And if not - why? We all know breast is best. It's a fact. Can't argue that. So if you CHOSE to formula feed I'd love to hear why. Just doing some research, thank you for your honest answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a grandmother, but I did nurse my four children. It definitly was much cheaper than formula, and much more convenient than bottles. It truly was a bonding time for baby and myself. I nursed 6 months (bottle and formula after that), 15 months (directly to sippy cup), 21 months (directly to non-sippy cup), 23 months (directly to non-sippy cup). I appreciated the nursing time with my youngest......it often was the only time I got to sit all day.
    sahjmom

Answer by sahjmom at 8:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I nursed because it was the natural thing to do! Why not? You've got it, there's the babe- voila! It all falls into place :) I also had a lot of support from a family network of baby-nursers and I got encouragement through the times at the beginning when it was painful and difficult to get the hang of. That was important. Though I think I would have stuck to it anyway, because I was pretty determined.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I hope that you aren't trying to stir of a debate and truly want to know.
    I breastfed for about a month and then due to a neck muscle my dd had she was not able to latch properly. Breastfeeding isn't always a choice on the mom's part, sometimes there are medical reasons that people don't.
    I do agree that breast is best, but with technology today formula is not far behind. My dd has not been sick once!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I did bf'd both of mine. Exclusively for the first 6 months then my dd weaned herself at 11 months and my ds at 18 months. I have nothing against formula but I couldn't see buying it when breastmilk is free. Also my kids were both highly lactose intolerant ( I had to cut all dairy out of my food, even if it was in bread) so that formula would have been even more expensive.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes, and yes. I nursed DD until she self weaned at 13 months and DS 2 is starting to show signs of weaning also....fingers crossed!

I understand some not sticking to it, as it is not for sissies! but I don't understand deciding before giving birth that you won't even try.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I nursed for a month, but, because I didn't know what I was doing, I switched to formula. He wouls nurse for two hours straight, then, stop for 30 minutes then nurse for two hours again. I thought he wasn't being satisfied, so, I switched and he ate 8 oz and was content for 4 hours. i thought it was better. I now realize he was haveing a growth spurt or cluster feeding and should have continued.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I desperately wanted to breastfeed, && I tried in the hospital, but my son had very low blood sugar so after I would nurse the doctors fed him formula from a bottle. Once I got him home he would not latch on to me at all. So I pumped for about 3 weeks && fed him breastmilk through a bottle, but it wasn't the same && I became very disappointed. So I just quit pumping && gave him formula instead. I should have just kept pumping, so he could have the breast milk, but it was so discouraging to be sore && leaking all the time when my son wasn't even feeding from me.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had a HORRIBLE oversupply problem. Put it this way- I wore a 36 J while BF and I am size 4! I never, ever emptied a breast and my poor baby was getting way too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. His BMs were green and frothy and he screamed in pain after every nursing session, and would literally spit up so bad I was afraid he was losing everything he ate. He was so gassy he would writhe in discomfort. When I finally got a clue as to what was going on, I tried everything and listened to lots of advice- drank lots of disgusting teas, did the cabbage leaves, staggered feedings between 1 breast per session, etc. Nothing was helping. He was very very colicky during the whole time. So I stopped BF and introduced formula and the colic subsided. It just wasn't worth the misery for either of us.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Still nursing at 19 mos :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i nursed my dd for 3 months befor switching to formula. she was eating every 1/2 hr all day and night from the very first da. i couldnt physically keep up with her..she would drain every ounce out of me so i couldnt pump nothing for her when i wanted to leave her with someone. i did everything my nursing consultant told me to do....but nothing worked so to save us heartach i switched to formula
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 4:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009