Something isn't working.

If over 80% of the jail population believes in the Christian god, and around half of those keep going back to jail, wouldn't this mean praying that people find god isn't the answer to society's problem?

http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's not necessarily that they don't find God to be the answer, but more likely how to let God be the answer without taking matters into their own hands first.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 3:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No, it means that people are exercising their God-given free will to fall into the enemy's traps. That's just what he wants us all to do, since he only comes to steal,kill,and destroy. And,what better way to discredit Christianity than with something like this? But, it's not gonna work. He's read the end of the Bible,as well as all of us. He knows in the end we WIN,and he LOSES! He doesn't want that, even though he's powerless to stop it. So, he wants to take as many down with him as he can. Saying you believe in God,and actually having accepted Jesus as your Savior are two entirely different things. Anyone can say they believe in God. It's when you apply that belief,and ask Jesus to be your personal Savior that you truly show that belief.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Seems to me that people who are atheists or members of religions that promote thinking for yourself come up with their morals using logic and knowledge instead of just reading a book....so their morals are stronger because they have good solid reasons for them. It's like the difference between telling a child "don't touch the stove because I said so" or telling them "don't touch the stove or you will get burned". They tend to listen to the second one better.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think that some of them might be thinking "Oh, it's okay, cause I'm forgiven". I don't believe that any human can go through life without making mistakes, but to KNOWINGLY do things that you KNOW are wrong . . . well, that's just not what it's all about.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As far as them going back to prison multiple times? I think our prison system is set up for that....and it's partly because of "Christian morals". Christianity says that people with sin are supposed to punished for ETERNITY with no second chance. So this has spilled over into the prison system, since Christians are the majority here in the US. They call for criminals to "rot in prison" for the rest of their lives...without hearing their side of the story or even waiting until the trial is over!! This is a very primitive way of thinking. And the prison itself hardens people. Even those who didn't commit a violent crime can BECOME violent after enduring prison.

Now, in Norway (and it's similar in other Scandinavian countries) they only have a max 21 year prison sentence for ANYTHING. The prison system is centered on rehabilitation. Around 80% of the people are atheist/agnostic, and they have the lowest crime rate.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't think finding God could hurt.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I do not believe in Jesus Christ based on what other people do and I am not going to stop believing based on what other people do.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• And did you check to see how many of those offenders are actually have some kind of mental illness? Our prisons have become a holding place for adults with mental illness (at least, around here they have). it is said to know that alot of the people in prison will not get the psychological help they need.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I believe in grace, forgiveness, and rehabilitation. But since so many of them return to crime after they are released I would like to see LONGER sentences for violent and sex criminals (rapists, child molesters, etc). Also a man who beats his wife and goes to jail for it, is very likely to come pay her a visit when he is released. That terrifies me.

I don't care what religion you are if you are gonna comitt one of these crimes.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My mom goes into one of the prisons here to teach the women a bible study. Most of them profess a faith in God, but they aren't "church" people. They have had terrible lives and gone through things I can't even imagine. It isn't an excuse, but my heart breaks for them and their children.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009