CHILD SERVICES?

I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS A VERY YOUNG MOM (18/19 ISH) AND SHE RECENTLY SPLIT WITH THE BABYS DAD. NOW SHE IS DATING A GUY AND NOT PAYING MUCH ATTENTION TO THE BABE.I WENT SHOPPING WITH HER AND SHE WAS PRETTY MUCH IGNORING HIM, AND MY MOTHER AND I TOOK CARE OF HIM.SHE DROPPED A PACI ON THE FLOOR AND GAVE IT BACK TO HIM, IGNORED HUNGER CUES, AND TO TOP IT OFF I FOUND OUT SHE HAD EXPOSED THE BABY TO A FRIEND OF HERS WHO HAD A DISEASE THAT KILLED HIM.....AND HER SON WAS EXPOSED TO IT....SHE GOES OUT DRINKING AND TO PARTIES WITH THE BABY, AND I HAVE SEEN PICS OF HER LETTING HIM SLEEP ON THE GROUND AT THESE PARTY HOUSES...PEOPLE WERE DRINKNG ALL NITE AND SMOKING WEED...:/ SHE HAS ALSO RECENTLY SAID THROUGH A BLOG THAT HER LIFE IS OVER BCZ HE BROKE UP W/HER..THEY R BACK TOGETHER BUT THIS IS SO SAD FOR THE BABY...SHE HAS NO JOB AND IS JUST TOO YOUNG...I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL CPS OR NOT AND HOW DO I DO IT? I AM IN CALIFORNIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh wow, yeah, the party thing is dangerous. That child is already exposed to things he shouldn't be exposed to, and things that can get him killed or kidnapped. I think you should try talking to her, and explain what could possibly happen to her child under certain circumstances. If things get worse, then I would take matters into my own hands and call them. I would not let a child be abused that long and just stand by and watch it. I care about kids too much lol! This is so bad... I hope she can take better care of the child. :-(
    bluegirlmommy

Answer by bluegirlmommy at 4:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• This is a little tough...some of the things you describe are not that bad (the dropped paci - gross, yes, something to call CPS for, no). The friend/disease, did she know the friend had the disease at the time of exposure, and was the disease contagious in such a way that the baby simply being there or being held by him/her could get it? If the answer to one or both of those is no, then that to me is not a reason to call CPS. The parties with the baby...some parties would be ok, I've taken my kids with me to parties. I think that depends on the kind of party, if they are drinking and doing drugs as you say, then yes, that is a problem. Have you talked to her at all about any of your concerns? I'd try talking to her first, and see if you can get her to wake up and take better care of him. If that doesn't work, then for the parties, yes I would consider calling CPS. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree totally with Tropicalmama. The only thing that would really get me in a frenzy would be the parties, and only then if they are the parties you are describing and not fun little get togethers. You know what I mean? Talk to her first. Don't judge her, and especially not because of her age. Do what you can to help her.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• no child deserves a life style like that and to have a mother that wants nothing to do with him. he will grow up f*cked in the head and heartless. i seen it way to many times. someone needs to call on her.
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 5:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I brought my baby to a bbq/party on the weekend, people were drinking and afew were smoking weed. I just kept her away from any of the smoke, I don't really care if people do that as long as my baby isn't affected. I had 2 beers, but not enough to impare my judgement. Some moms would think that's bad but I don't see the big deal. And when she fell asleep I put her in her carseat on the ground, and stayed near her.
    Just because she has a baby doesn't mean she has to stay home 24/7.

Also I've given her the suther that fell on the floor, I just wipe it off. Sometimes she needs it and theres not a tap near me.
    I think you may be overreacting
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree the party is the only thing that sound like cps should be involved but I also agree try talking to the mom first before you make any conclusions.
    Anonymous