what age do you introduce the cup?

i was reading in one of my books today that you can start letting your baby drink from a cup. they went on to talk about "sippy cups" but the whole article/passage they were mainly talking about cups without tops. i was so confused. 5 month old drinking from an open top cup?! kinda bizaar-o. what age did your child start using a cup and what kind of cup was it?! did it have a top/lid? lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD drank from a sippy cup at 6 mos and a sippy cup w/ a straw at 10 mos. She can drink from a water bottle now at 19 mos,, but can't quite get how to drink from a regular cup w/ out spilling it yet :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• A sippy as soon as he could kinda sit up in a high chair. If you hold it, even a newborn can drink from an open top cup. And around a couple months, they can figure out how to suck from a straw.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• epoh-- that's what i was thinking, too. but it said that they will spill and that's how they learn. sso that why i figured that they were talking about no top.
    Anonymous

• My 6 month old just started drinking from a sipping cup. She never took a bottle (flat out refused. It was either breast or nothing). My mom occassionally gets her to drink from a cup.

My husband and I recently checked out some schools and one Montessori school has all the infants drinking from a regular cup by 8 months. That's our goal now
    Mae-ye

Answer by Mae-ye at 11:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009