Why does grape drinks turn my sons poop green??

It does it to all of my kids, but I just let my son pick out his kool-aid (now grant it he is only 11 months) and he chose grape. As I was fixing it I remembered that it always turns their poop green. Any one know why??

nicky5053

Asked by nicky5053 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep it's they dye and if you breast feed and you drink a grape soda it will turn you babys poop green as well as yours.. I found that out and blew my OB away.. It was pretty funny lol.. Hey give the kid the stinkin kool-aid..Is it yours nope so if she's fine with it and the pedi is to leave it alone that wasnt the question.. I would give mine kool-aid too but he is 9 months and likes to shake his drinks and get them everywhere lol....It would work just the same as the juice I have to give him once a day lol
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• kool aid @ 11 months?

Grape juice does the same to my daughter also. Even the White grape lol. She even ate a crayon once and her poop was orange(orange crayon) Weird huh lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It is sugar free and I have already talked to the PED and he was perfectly fine with what I give him.

I know that Fruit Loops do it as well. Just could not figure it out
    nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Sugar free = artifical sweetener. Did you say grape juice to your ped or koolaid?
    Anonymous

• KOOL-AID and he was FINE WITH IT!!! This is not my first child and I know that every mother parents their child different. I give it to him. Does that make me a BAD mother. NO it does not. I did not start this question to get ridiculed. I started it so I could better figure out why. (This is exactly why I really do not want to be on any of these web sites any more.)

nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Is he eating green veggies the same day? maybe thats why. I know mine did that when theyd have green beans or peas.
    pinkflowerpetal

Answer by pinkflowerpetal at 5:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Not usually pinkflowerpetal. They dont like that much green food. It always seems to happen though when they drink the grape kool-aid and eat fruit loops
    nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• does real grape juice do the same thing, or just kool ade? it could be the artificial colors or something.
    (and im not bashing on giving him koolade)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• his poop turns green because of the artificial dyes they put in grape koolaid to make it purple. same with the fruit loops. they are both full of dye. I wasn't thinking one day and bought my son a sno cone at the park, and the next day his poop was lime green!
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 5:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You know, I have no idea, lol...but it's a good question. My kids always had green poop when ever they had grape drinks or gatoraid. Grape popsickles do it too. It was really funny when daddy changed diapers afterward. Green poop always freaked him out, lmbo.

My kids love kool-aid but I always use real sugar, too worried about the artifical sweetener. Sugar has been around longer and the artifical stuff can cause cancer. I know sugars not good either but I figure it's the lesser of to evils.

Hope someone out there can tell us why grape = green poop. I'm really curious now. LOL
    Anonymous