Do you know some classroom management advice with teenagers?

Hello I am a new teacher and I cannot take away the recess or use smilies with teenagers , so how can I make them work? Thanks

happymom384

Asked by happymom384 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• contact parents, kick them out of the classroom. The are practically adults, so if they don't behave or do their work, they should receive a low grade or kick them out of the classroom, don't put up with it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Feelings of dissapointment. It worked on me. It won't work on all students, but some. Detentions. Take away fun activities, and give them other work instead. Good luck
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 4:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Give them a reason to be good for you. Talk to them, not at them, that makes a big difference in any child.if they get to the point they will not listen no matter what, let them tell the parents what they did.I assume you will start in the next school year, so make sure upfront they know the rules and what they can expect from you.No matter what stick to your rules and it may take awile but they will get it.Pizza parites for the ones that do the right thing, stuff like that.Make them work for what they want. Middle school needs a little fun in learning, so make them want to come to school and not miss anything.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I bought some parenting books and CDs from Love and Logic, and some were really aimed at teachers. I think those might be useful. Also, you can go to teachers who seem to have a good thing going and ask them what they do, or better yet observe them for yourself. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Check out these books under Teenager (Raising and Understanding)  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  You may also want to check out the Teachers section too.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• BRIBE THEM!!!! I go to high school and if a teacher says if you all behave we will have a movie day every friday.

OR

Stop giving a shit about the failures, focus on the students who want to learn, because they need you and deserve your help. Dont waste your time with the failures. They fail, and it isnt your problem.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Um, she's talkiing about high schoolers, not elementary people. Kick them out and give them the grade they deserve, they need to learn how to behave in college.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009