eye infection, clogged tear duct.. what is it?!

my daughter has been having eye boogies and some clear drainage in her left eye since she was about 4 weeks old. i took her to the doctor right away and she told me it was an infection so she put psylee on eye drops three times a day for a week and it still never went away so i took her back and then they said it was a clogged tear duct and they told me to just keep doing what i was doing as far as wiping the boogies away everytime i noticed them and they also told me to put warm compresses on it and massage under the eye and push up to open it. well i've been doing that for 5 weeks now (they said it would go away in about a month) and it is still doing it! but heres the thing, when she cries, i can see tears coming out of that eye. so how is it clogged?! is my doctor just an idiot or what?! anyone else ever have this problem?

psylees_mommy

Asked by psylees_mommy at 4:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes my son had a colgged duct for almost a year. It started when he was 2 weeks old and it finally went away when he was almost 11 months. He was on antibiotice when it went away, i dont know if that had anything to do with it though. Its irratating and annoying but theyre is really nothing you can do about it. and yeah i never got why a CLOGGED tear duct always leaked either.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• sorry typo * antibiotics
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• wow! thats a long time!
    my doctor was telling me about some procedure they have to do if it won't go away?
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 4:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Eye infections are common in newborns, my two babies had it and the thing that work the best was breast milk. I would squeeze a drop or two into the eye every time i held her or every time i fed her it cleared in about a week. it is also good to wet a cotton ball with breast milk to clear the ghoo coming out of the eye.

If in fact she has a clough duck thenit might take longer and possibly the procedure.

Loba

Answer by Loba at 4:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yea they stick like a wire or soemthing in the tear duct to unclogg it. i thought i was going to have to do this with my son but thank the lord it went away.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009