Is it ok to tell your children about child support if incase they ask? Or do you tell them "None of your business"

I know some kids that are still too young to know better but they are curious.

would you take the time to explain or just shut them out and have them not worry about it?
Just curious!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If my stepson asked about it, I would tell him. I'm not sure if his mother has ever mentioned it to him or not, but I wouldn't be upset if she did. In my opinion if a child asks a question, it's because they are curious and want an answer. Although a child should not be put in the middle of disputes between parents, it does no harm to tell them what it is, what it's for, and how much if they ask. But that doesn't mean that a parent should use the questions as a way to bash the other parent. Honest, straightforward answers is all it takes to satiate a child's curiosity.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Its not for them to worry about.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Wow, good question. I think that it depends on your childs age. if your child is old enough to understand that daddy works and mommy gets money from daddy to help me buy for you sure. If your child would not know what it means then no. Should you tell your child that daddy is worthless and does not want to help mommy pay bills so he does not pay? NO!!!!
    hannahsothermom

Answer by hannahsothermom at 4:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think at any age it is none of there business.  Child support is to help financially raise them.

When they got old enough to understand I would tell them about it..How it to help pay the bill, to help financially raise them.

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My kids are 8 & 5, and my oldest has asked before what child support is. I've told him that it's money that one parent gives the other to help make sure the kids are taken care of. If he asks for more details than that, I will tell him that he doesn't need to worry about it. It's not his worry whether or not his father pays it, or how he pays it, or what I spend it on if/when I get it. The only time I feel it should become the child's concern is when the child is 18, and the parent that pays support still owes. At that point, the child can then go after the parent for it, and that's when I feel they can/should be told more details.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009