What would you do?

Im almost 37 weeks pregnant ( Friday i will be)

This is my second baby, my first was an emergancy c-section.

I want a VBAC, doc said as long as everything goes well it can happen. I want a VBAC because i dont do spinals or epidurals!!! IM SCARED POOPLESS!!!

I was in labor and delivery earlier today, and they told me with a VBAC they have you get an epidural anyways, because a VBAC is a higher risk of an emergancy c-section, and of course you can refuse it, but if you do have to go in for an emergancy c-section they just put you to sleep.

Im not dialated at all. Im closed and thick..

Plus, baby is still breech!!!

Should i just schedual another c-section and get overwith? Im tired, and i just want to be unpregnant.

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 4:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If a VBAC was what you wanted go with it..ive heard the worst stories about both sides of that. Personally im scheduling my C-section..i had to have the first one..im just gonna stick with it...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• GO WITH A VBAC!!!

And the L&D nurse is NUTS. You do NOT have to have an epidural! That's the most assanine thing I've ever heard of! Most doctor's would prefer you do NOT have drugs so that you can FEEL what's going on and tell them if something doesn't feel right!

Your chances of a uterine rupture are around 1% according the the ACOG and VBACs are much safer than repeat c-sections.

If you want the VBAC mama...than HAVE a VBAC and don't let anyone else tell you different!

I would suggest joining the Natural Pregnancy and Birth group here on Cafe Mom to get as much information about VBAC and the FACTS about VBACs before you go into labor.

I wish you an amazing VBAC experiance!
    Anonymous

• Also check out www.spinningbabies.com!

My baby was breech and he turned after me doing the techniques suggested there just a few times!
    Anonymous

• if the baby is breech it is safer to go with a c-section. if you do the vbac you are risking it being born face up or haveing alot of breathing problems.
    kamrynsmommie

Answer by kamrynsmommie at 4:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• They cannot force an epidural. They cannot force you to do anything.....get that baby to turn! Try spinning babies

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• C-sections are NOT necessarily safer for breech babies than vaginal deliveries!

It depends on the spacific position of the baby, whether you health care provider has experience delivering a breech baby and many other factors. I personally would find a midwife that delivers in hospital to deliver the baby if he doesn't turn because most midwives are trained in breech birth but unfortantly many medical schools have stopped teaching doctors how to do a breech vaginal birth. They teach them to section women. :(

There are a LOT of myths out there about breech babies and VBACs so be sure to sort through what's fact and what's just a sad, sad myth!
    Anonymous

• I ALSO wanted to add that how dialated and effaced you are before labor have very little to do with your actual birth.

Particulary in subsaquent pregnancies a women can go from 0 to in full blown labor in a heart beat.

Start drinking some raspberry leaf tea (tones the uterus) and have intercourse frequently to soften your cervix if your concerned.
    Anonymous

• I have been having tons of sex. I have been doing everything i can possibley do. And my hospital does have you get an epidural. Of course you can deny it, but then if you have to go have an emergancy c-section in the middle of labor or delivery they put you to sleep instead of giving you a spinal or epidural.

I think imma just go with another c-section. :D
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 5:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had a c-section due to a breech baby. I did all kinds of research (I really really wanted a vaginal birth, but every shred of evidence states that c-sections are the safest way to go) and decided to schedule mine. I too found out I was breech at 37 wks. I went into labor the day before my scheduled section and ended up with one anyway. Horrible things can happen to breech babies born vaginally, including spinal cord damage, cerebral palsy, etc. The pro-vaginals will tell you otherwise, but there's not one study that says it's safer to birth a breech vaginally. I was not willing to risk that. I did try for a version, but it didn't work.
    Anonymous