• In the Spotlight:

Birthday Cake Decorating Tips... Do's and Dont's HELP!!!!

I plan on buying a sheet cake from Costco this year for my DD 4th birthday and was going to ask them to just leave it plain white and decorate it myself to save money. So im wondering if anyone has any tips for decorating a pre made cake and the Do's/ Don'ts like what will ruin it etc.

Her birthday is Disney Princess themed

Feedback, tips and pictures would be appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Do you have any experience with decorating cakes? Can you use a decorating bag and tips?

If you don't, what I would do is get some Disney Princess small figurines, set them on top of the cake and sprinkle colored sprinkles on the top. Buy some of the precolored premade icing in a tube, often found near cake mixes in the store. You can write "Happy Birthday" with that.

OR you can go to eBay, search for "edible Disney Princess cake" and you should be able to find several designs printed on edible paper. They cost around $10 average and you can have them personalized. Just put them on top of the cake, then you could sprinkle colored sprinkles around it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Maybe you could let your daughter decorate her cake as part of her birthday party. I remember doing it for one of my birthdays and had a blast!! Sure it wasnt the prettiest cake ever, but it made good memories.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do they still make the hard candied roses that you stick on top the cake with the center piece that says Happy Birthday? I also remember a plastic princess carriage that got parked on top of a few of my cakes. My mom might have bought a cake with it on top and saved it for re-use year after year. I make chocolate, and I have a mold of party hats and presents that can be added to a plain cake. I also have chocolate molds of numbers. I tend to decorate homemade cakes with my chocolate pieces. If you want to get kids involved, you can give them cupcakes to decorate with your left overs. Have fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It's hard to decorate if you dont have the tools. Like tips and bags. I've heard of people cutting the corner of a baggie out, but then you only get a round type icing comming out, nothing like a shell or anything. Dont buy the colored icing in the tubes. It taste like crap. You would be better off buying the canned white frosting and dying it , if your not going to use buttercream. And differant types of candy can be used for decorating too. MM's and such. Use your imigination! good luck!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009