Birthday cake decorating do's and dont's .... HELP!!!

I plan on buying a sheet cake from Costco this year for my DD 4th birthday and was going to ask them to just leave it plain white and decorate it myself to save money. So im wondering if anyone has any tips for decorating a pre made cake and the Do's/ Don'ts like what will ruin it etc.

Her birthday is Disney Princess themed

Feedback, tips and pictures would be appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Entertainment

• They'll probably charge you the same for a blank cake. Just go buy a cake mix and make it yourself. If you do that, you have to make the cake the day before. You do not want to ice a hot cake. As far as decorating it, if you've never done it before, it won't be easy. Google "cake decorating tips."
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Its actually pretty hard to decorate a bought sheet cake cause everything bleeds when put onto thier frosting. My tip is make your own cake let it cool like two hours or more then frost it and let it sit again for like an hour then make your design. I decorate cakes as a little side business from my home as I am a sahm but it's hard to describe. If you lived in mass I would have you come over so I could teach you how. Best of luck just try your best I'm sure she will love it.
    SlaveToDHFamily

Answer by SlaveToDHFamily at 9:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You could make a really cute castle cake.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Wilton.com There are a lot of cake decorating tips on there. But, if you are doing it to save money, if you don't already have the supplies, you aren't really going to save any money.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 1:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009