Is it ok to mix half breast milk and half formula?

I'm not planning on weening my baby from the breast until about 9 months; however, just curious about how I would go about that anyway. Can I mix her bottles half breast milk, half formula? And how would I go about doing that? use just the liquid formula and do one part liquid formula one part breast milk? Can I mix powdered formula with water and just mix it with an equal part breast milk? I don't know. Has anyone else ever done this? What's the best way?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 5:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't want to bash you, but if you are going to go until 9 months, why not go until 11 and skip formula all together? At 11 months you can start introducing milk and at 12 months go to full milk.

But yes, you can mix formula and Breastmilk. I mixed up my formula first, then added breastmilk to it afterward. And I did 50/50 for a couple of weeks and then went full formula.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would ask your doctor the correct way to do this. I kow mpoms do some bottles breastmilk and some formula but i would not mix them. It may be too much milk and not enough water and that will cause tummyaches. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't mean use the milk instead of water to mix with the powdered formula mix.... I mean use liquid formula or pre mix the powdered with water and than mix equal parts of it with the breast milk... I've heard of mothers feeding their babies half and half and just wondering if that's exactly how it should be done.
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If u want to do both just give her the BM first then give formula. If for some reason she doesn't finish the formula at least u won't have to throw out BM. I do both and that's how I do it. Good luck =)
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's ok. Mix the formula with the powder and then add the breastmilk. It may take a while for your baby to adjust to the new taste. I would suggest starting with only 1 or 2 ounces of formula per bottle and gradually increasing the formula rather than going 50/50 right off the bat.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• There are arguments that the formula has a negative impact ont he breastmilk. I personally think mixing is a bad idea because if baby doesn't like it you've wastd the breastmilk which can be so difficult to pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mixing them is generally not a good idea because with breastmilk bottles if baby doesn't eat it all you can put it in the fridge for the next feeding and you can't do that with formula and once they are mixed you have to treat it like formula so you may waste all that precious milk you pumped. Some babes won't take the formula though so you may have to mix it to get them to take it. Personally I would suggest just going the extra couple months and start giving cow's milk at age 1 if you really want to wean from the breast.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We mix for my son now that my supply is dropping... I mix the formula first and then add the breastmilk. Or sometimes I just do every other bottle or whatever I have pumped.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• aeneva, can you really save breast milk if your baby didn't finish all at one sitting, I always thought or have read that stored milk is only good after heating up for up to an hour, and freshly expressed milk for 4 hours... am I wrong? and if so please site your research I would love to learn more about this
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009