How can we help?

I was thinking about those that are on public assistance / welfare. There is what I think is a wide misconception that there are a majority of PA families that live this way (as if they pass it from one generation to the next). I am sure that there are some families like this, but surely not the majority.
My question is, how can we provide opportunity for these individuals to re-enter or be introduced to the workforce? In other words, should we expect people who recieve PA to return the favor in some way, shape, or form? If we expect for our children to understand that nothing is for free, shouldn't we lead by example? *please note, I didn't start this to get bashed, I would like serious discussion / debate on how to help the situation*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A poster on a different question brought up that there will be nowhere to place the people who are on assistance, with unemployment being what it is.

Since Obushma signed the GIVE Act, I don't see why he couldn't have written and sign a GIVE BACK Act. I don't know what sort of jobs they could do, but maybe some of those volunteer jobs he was talking about would be good to start with.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• With the exception of ill or disabled persons, children benefit greatly from the simple act of seeing their parent(s) --at least one working adult in the household, getting up, getting dressed and going to work every day. It instills in them the expectation that they too are expected to grow up, get an education and go to work every day when they are adults. The parent's job is to put a roof over their heads, food on the table and pay the bills. The child's "job" is to go to school and get an education to do the same in the future for his/her family. This should be conveyed and reiterated to the children through word and deed at every turn, so they KNOW this deep down inside. If the family is on assistance, they soon realize that this too has to be worked for--there is no free ride, no one can sit and watch TV every day and expect to be fed.
    Anonymous

• I've read TIME AND TIME AGAIN on here that SOME moms choose to stay at home and either their husband or BF got laid off or is going back to school. I think THOSE situations are taking advantage of the system. I DO NOT believe that 2 abled bodies should be home collecting PA. That is wrong! who DO they think is responsible for their lives? bad example of self indulged people with a sense of entitlement.

I agree with anon 5:37 above also.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• People just need a will to find their way. But why WOULD people WANT to work, if they CAN collect PA? We need to hold people accountable and STOP with the excuses. Toughen up America!!!

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My old neighborhood is filled with generations of families who are simply lazy and live off the system. My own family was that way. My mom thankfully had a drive to not be worthless and got us out of that back in the early 80's when things were worse than they are now. We are a land of soft people who cry if anyone questions them at all. It is pathetic.
    Anonymous

• I like the first anons answer, but I won't pick an anon answer as best answer. It's a little rule of mine.

Anonymous