Neurotic mom needs advice- 2 parts

My 11 month old son has a HORRIBLE diaper rash and screams when you try to put cream on him. Any thoughts on how to make it more bearable for him?

I noticed today that on the inside of his mouth where his tooth is- there is a little black mark. It almost looks like something got stuck in there. Considering he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth- I have no idea how long it's been there. I have brushed his teeth and it still appears to be there. Any thoughts on if he should see someone or let nature take it's course?

Thanks Ladies for the help and talking me off a ledge!

tooqtcute

Asked by tooqtcute at 5:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you using a wash rag to wipe him...I wouldnt use wipes for awhile. I would also get alot of cream on my finger so you don't have to rub his skin to wipe it on him. If it gets too bad take him to dr. it could be yeast or need a stronger cream or steroid. Let him air dry a minute before putting a clean diaper on him.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DS had a tough time with diaper rash at around his 1 year birthday. What does the rash look like? If it's sort of patchy white or looks like raw meat, it could be a yeast infection. Our ped told us to use Lotrimin or Lamisil twice a day. For other diaper changes when, you can apply Neosporin to any raw areas. I found that Lansinoh (for cracked nipples) worked great as well. Finally, we switched diaper brands. If you're using sposies, the manufacturer's make changes to them all the time. I'm convinced DS was allergic to something they added in the old brand, because after two weeks of us trying everything, the rash looked remarkably better the day after we switched to a new diaper brand.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 5:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• try burts bees diaper cream. it costs a little more but it is well worth it. it is the only thing that works for us with bad rashes.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree with burts bee's - my sister swore by it -Luckily my son has never had a diaper rash - cross my fingers!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Let him air out as much as possible to help the diaper rash. I know that is hard with a baby who can't control it but try to find a small area where he can play for 5-10 minutes at a time that won't be impossible to clean when you are done. Maybe even a dry bathtub? As for the black mark, I've never seen that. Personally, I would watch it over a few days & see what happens. If it seems to hurt or swell, I would call the doc at that point.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my dd have sever diaper rash as a baby so bad that she broke out in ulcers. one night it was so bad it started bleeding we called the clinic and they got us in right aways. the dr there said to let her get as much sun and air to her rear end and to get hydrocoritzon 1% (that stops the itching) and a+d ointment and mix it in a jar and use that intill she healed. we went to the store and followed his instrutions and the next day her butt wasnt as red and her sores didnt look so bad. its very in exspensive for a jar we used a peanut butter jar and always kept some on hand even after she healed.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would try coconut oil on the rash
    Get the tooth looked at by a pediatric dentist.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2009