How should I incorporate Jar food with formula in my babys diet.

I just dont know how to fit it all in her diet with out making her eat less formula. I also want to start her on juice pretty soon shes almost 6 months. How would I do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right now formula should be the main source of nutrition, with most sources recommending that they get at least 24-32oz. per day. Solids should just be extra, in addition to baby's regular formula intake.

For many babies, it can work well to offer solids after a bottle or between bottle feedings. As long as she's drinking enough formula, just let your baby eat as much or as little solids as she would like. Right now it isn't necessary for her to have 3 meals of solids per day, offering her solids once or twice a day would be plenty. Also, I'd hold off on the juice until she's a little older. They don't need it anyway. When you do give it to her, offer no more than 4oz. of juice per day from a sippy cup.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i wouldn't be ina hurry to start juice, why introduce all that sugar when it's not necessary?
    as for the solids go, always give solids after the bottle.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be in a hurry to start solids. medical research has shown it has actually BETTER for the baby to start solids later than 6 months now.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I didnt start my daughter on solids until she was 6 months. She gets breakfast, lunch and dinner just like us.

Breakfast I give her oatmeal or rice cereal and add some jarred fruit to it
    Lunch I give her a jar of veggies
    Dinner I offer some snacks(gerber stars) and a jar of meat with veggie in it. for example Sweet Potatos with Corn
    She doesnt get much for juice right now just water in her sippy cup.

Hope this helped =)
    AlissaZea

Answer by AlissaZea at 7:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionist recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009