What was your childs first word?

What was your baby's first word and how old was he/she when they started talking?
Two days ago myself and my eight month old son were sitting in bed when the cat jumped up and started loving all over him. He kept looking at her and saying, "At.....at." Then it happened, clear as a bell he looked at her and said, "Cat." Several times since when she would randomly walk by him he has repeated it and once to a video he has when a cat came on screen. I'm not at all surprised and said months ago that it was going to be his first word. What was your baby's first word? How soon did he/she say her second word?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 5:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 7 months old and said clear as day looking at his dad and said DADA - then didn't say anything again til 12 months..lol!! now at 18 months he has about 75 words or so -but only 2 - 2 word sentances -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my daughters first word was da-da...her second word was hi...lol and then she was ALWAYS saying "hi da-da" she came up with hi VERY quickly after da-da...
    wruss

Answer by wruss at 5:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Ki-Ka for kitty kat, then mama and dada.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 6:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son was 7 months and said Da-Da, he says a lot more now, and now his favorite word is Mom or Ewwww.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• mine was 7 mos when she singed momma.
    and 6 mos for dada, but I dont' really count that b/c it is more of a sound for her than a word to describe daddy.

at 9 mos she said key (kitty). She has said it a few more times sine then and her dad told me a few days ago that she meows too when the cat jumps in her bed. I think that it is sweet when she wants to spend time with the baby.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My daughter's first word was da-da. It is okay though she has a great daddy. God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• da-da and I was very jealous. However, on Easter, at a church Easter egg hunt, he said momma. I thought that was the best Easter gift.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Both of my kids said kitty first, and they both pronounced it "dee" I think they were around 10 months.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I didn't notice the rest of your question. I just looked at their baby books. They both said kitty at 10.5 months, then around 11 months my daughter said "hi" and my son said "mama" and "dada." My daughter started off slightly slower but at 18 months she has over 40 words, and at 18 months he had 11.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009