the word

i was just reading i 'do you ever use the n word???"my question is and this is just out of curiosity so i dont care what is said cause i think its bad but what is the term of a white person being a cracker???i am 50 yrs old and have never heard that term i live near boston and i have never heard the n word thrown around either....maybe we are just more deversified up here.since really we have all sorts of people living here>>>

raineydays377

Asked by raineydays377 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here in Florida it is derived from the time when most of the land was settled by ranchers. They would crack a whip at their cattle to herd them, and so they were called "Crackers". Since I was born here in Florida, I am considered a Florida Cracker. Perhaps others use it to refer to slave owners, who would also crack whips?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Im not sure of your question. I have heard white people being referred to as crackers but its not something ive heard consistently. Its just not used around here that much. I am sure if I were around a more diversified group of people, then maybe, but when most of your community is white, its unlikely that you hear others saying that. Most of the people around here have more nasty things to say about the hispanic people here. I dont agree with every part of their lifestyle, but if they are nice, respectful and courteous, I dont have a problem with them or anyone for that matter.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Not sure. I am from California and I have always wondered what "Cracker" meant too.

I have heard the term, but I am not certain of the meaning other than that it is meant to be derogatory.

Anonymous

• I don't use either word.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My view - people are people. It doesn't matter what color their skin is. These words are ridiculous.

Someone told me a long time ago - "there are black niggers and their are white niggers. There are good black people and there are niggers." I find it all ridiculous. People are People - who cares what color their skin is.

I have a hard time explaining it but I kinda feel like black people, for instance, are in all actuality better than white people. Look at what they have had to put up with over the years and yes, sometimes people place the race card. But look at all of the people that go about their lives knowing they are no better than anyone else. They don't expect people to go out of their way because they "owe them".

I gotta get off of this one. It just makes me so mad. I could go on forever about this sort of thing.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009