Why does the government penalize you for being honest?????

I am unemployed and trying to start an in home daycare. A couple weeks ago, I had 1 child for 1 day (as a back up for their regular daycare). I am still working on getting my name out there as a provider. I claimed that income on my unemployment. So, now all of my claims are on hold because I worked for 1 day and reported it honestly.

Juniper53098

Asked by Juniper53098 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why'd you report that? That isn't a consistent job, you don't have to report it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I reported it because I want to do daycare and am using contact with moms as part of my job search. I felt it was the honest non-fraudulent thing to do.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have done temp work while on unemployment and have had my unemployment reduced, never held up. There is something else going on; you need to go to the unemployment office and talk to them.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I am sorry June. There is so much wrong with the way our government does thing you don't even want to get me started. I am sorry. Hopefully they will hurry up and get you off hold.
    jridgill

Answer by jridgill at 7:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm thinking it may have something to do with the amount. In TN we can make up to $50 that week, and anything over that changes our UE including canceling it. There's no incentive to work whatsoever.

I'd check about the amount you claimed.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I only claimed $30.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I called about it today and its sitting in "legal". They say it takes AT LEAST 21 days before they will call you IF they have a question. In the mean time, I'm not getting paid for ANY of the weeks I've claimed since then.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009