Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what pain reliever can i give my toy chihuahua. i called a vet and got no answers.

my toy chi. woke this morning with neck pain. she has not been able to move very well today and has'nt eaten or drank anything. i called the vet and got nowhere.

Answer Question

Asked by Debbie9191 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

Level 2 (9 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • try calling a diff vet or try baby asprin

    Answer by Ambie0526 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I kept some Tramadol that they gave my cat when he got neutered. Its the same thing as regular tramadol that I already had in the cabinet. Same mgs too. I dont know about OTC stuff, but most of the meds like antibiotics and pain meds are the same, but in smaller doses. Hope the poor thing feels better soon.

    Answer by momofsaee at 6:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • DO NOT give meds, especially pain relievers to a pet without your vets intructions. Acetometaphin can kill your dog. Baby asprin can be prescribed by a vet, but not without a weight and medical history. Especially something as small as a chihuahua- you have to be careful. Whatever you give them affects the kidneys and liver as well.
    With symptoms like your describing ther could be any # of things going on. Remember our pets can't tell us what going on. I know it can be expensive to go to the vet- but you cannot diagnose and medicate yourself-its way too dangerous.

    Answer by jenree at 7:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I'd be afraid to give her anything before having her checked out by a Vet. She could have something seriously wrong since she's not eating or drinking. Chihuahuas are so tiny anyway, that they can easily go into hypoglycemic shock. And, don't give her meds unless you get the ok from a Vet. I have toy chihuahuas, and you have to be so careful about dosages with them. What seems harmless can cause them a lot of problems.
    Hope all is well and she'll be better soon...

    Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • Our rat had part of her tail fall off, or chewed off, or ripped off, etc , I thought it would be painful so my husband gave her 1 tsp of toddler ibuphrofen, or tylenol ,to deal with the pain. But then they are rats and can eat anything. Keep calling the vet.Or take her to an animal hospital.

    Answer by Glickstein at 10:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • NO IBU and NO tylenol these are toxic to dogs. Call the vet, get an appt. It is your responsibility

    Answer by shanny35 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Petsmart or Petco will sell pain relieving tabs such as doggie aspirin but you need to get to the vet.

    Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • I would be afraid to give an animal that small any pain meds without the strict advice of a vet, just given it's small size. Try getting in for an actual visit with the vet if at all possible, they would be able to give you a much better idea in person of what you could do to help your fur baby feel better than they can over the phone. Much luck to you with your doggie

    Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • i have a chihuahua. if your vet didnt do anything about it when you called then make an appointment so he can be seen.

    Answer by USAF.Wife at 8:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.