Tubal Ligation/Have you had it done?

Have any of you out there had Tubal Ligation and feel like sharing your story?
I am getting ready to take the sterilization class and just want to get other mom's stories or any pertinent information regarding the procedure.

Thanks!

Kori219

Asked by Kori219 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Almost 34 years ago, at 23+, and 3 babies in less than 4 years I had a tubal immediately afet giving birth. The Doc wasn't too enthused due to my age, but realized that since a diaphragm and then a low dose pill didn't keep me non 'preggers' that it was the reasonable option, since my 'weinnie' hubby at the time, wouldn't. It was the best thing for me. I knew I didn't want anymore babies by birth (pregnancy was hard on me). I've never been sorry, only once did I ever reconsider looking into reversal, but current hubby said that my 3 that lived with us and his one we supported were pleanty. We had no classes or training or discussion in the 70's, just wheeled me to OR afer delivery, put me out, but and tied them, tiny vertical scar unter belly button, muscles were sore for heavy lifting for a couple weeks, no restrictions I remember, home to care for 3 babies. My periods were clottier and heavier. That's all. No biggy
    pattecake

Answer by pattecake at 7:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• When I went to the doctor about having this done, she referred me to a nearby doctor that does it. When I went to see him, I was informed that what he usually does is not the tubal ligation, but rather laproscopic sterilization. So, in case you haven't gotten that far, you might want to check and make sure it is actually tubal ligation that they are going to be doing. That way if it turns out like my situation you can gather information on the right procedure. I won't go into detail about mine until I hear from you as to whether or not it is actually tubal ligation or not. Just let me know. I just had mine done on April 7, 2009.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I was 40 when I had my 3rd baby. I knew I was done having children. I was having a planned c-section anyway, so I told the doctor to do the tubal while she was in there. This was 3 years ago. I don't know what a sterilization class is. I had no additional pain other than the regular c-section discomfort.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009