How can I get my son to stop hitting people when he is angry?

My son is 2 years old, and when he gets mad he hits whomever makes him angry. He wouldn't be happy until he hits him/her. I feel like I've tried everything and I can't get a counselor for him because he is too young. I'm desperate, need some advice please! . . . Thank you.

guadaly

Asked by guadaly at 6:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have a few choices. Whit my son I would grab his hand and give it a firm squeeze and give a stern 'No hit!' If he did it again I would repeat the 'no hit!' and carry him to time out and he would sit there for 2 min (or until he stopped crying sometimes 5 min) A friend of mine would give her daughter a quick little flick on the hand and say no. You could stick with just a time out. You are going to get all kinds of different answers here and what it comes down to is every child will learn differently. try a few things and see what gets the best reaction then stick with it and stay consistent.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If he hits you, tell him No, we don't hit people and Walk Away - this shows him that hitting doesn't get attention and in fact makes people leave, something he doesn't want. If he hits someone else, give the victim your attention FIRST, then after you've comforted them, tell your son, "We don't hit people." Then give him words to reflect his emotion (I know you're angry that xxx, but we don't hit people. If you want to be angry, stomp your feet - and then Stomp Your Feet to show him what he CAN do). Also, you can use the "mirroring" method - reflect back to him his frustrations ("Tommy is MAD! MAD MAD MAD. Mommy said no Cookie and Tommy is MAD. Tommy hit mommy, he is so MAD!. But no hit mommy!" Then give him a pillow or something else he can hit.) It takes numerous reptitions of the SAME consistent response before they start to learn to express their emotions appropriately, so be consistent, whatever else you do.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank God my daughter isn't the only one!!!! She tries to hit me and her dad and when she's not successful with that she'll hit her own face or pull her own hair.
    I haven't had any luck with stopping her yet but hopefully with constant reassurance that it's not okay to hit in any way shape or form, the message will finally be learned.
    SBC0110

Answer by SBC0110 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009