My 3 year old is constantly thirsty?

My three year old is constanly thirsty. She constantly asks for drinks (I keep, at the very least, a cup of water available all day) yet she will go into the bathroom using the bath time cup to get a drink, or will take her brother's (2 years) sippy cup and drain it. I give her drinks when she asks, they always get something with each meal. Does anyone know if this could be a sign of something else? FYI - She does come from an abusive home, her and her brother were starved and rarely got more than their mother's leftovers. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Rule out anything medical first. I took care of a 4 yr old girl who was always sneaking around the kitchen, even after a meal! she was so obsessed about food, after years of neglect and hunger, that I would take her to Mcdonald's and she would sneak fries off people's tray's (she'd eat her food then run around the playspace area and sneak when people weren't looking)
    There really should be a license to parent...It's tough to pick up the peices after a child is neglected and/or abused
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• it could be juvinile diabetes? does she crave milk too?
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 6:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It sounds like she's hoarding. She's taking every opportunity to get a drink because she's either affraid it won't be available or she's taking advantage that it is available. Will she share her food or drink with others? If she won't, it may be hoarding. If she doesn't have a problem sharing, then there may be no problem at all.
    BeautifuLove

Answer by BeautifuLove at 6:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You may want to have her checked for diabetes. Gosh, I can't imagine starving a child, thats just awful!! You hear about children being abused so often, it to is so wrong! I just can't understand what goes through peoples heads when they are doing such awful things to these children. Thank heaven for foster parents such as yourself, and all the good you do.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yep u agree it could be diabetes does she pee alot to??
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 6:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• ***OP*** Yeah she does. I never thought about it... Her grandfather has diabetes... Maybe I will call her ped. tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• My three year old niece did the same thing and just like the mom said above maybe it is diabetes. My niece turned out to be diabetic and she craved water and always wanted to use the bathroom. Either way it isd worth checking out because if it is diabetes you want to know asap so you can get it under control because we are a family of diabeticsa dn the earlier the better!!! Good luck Mama !!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would go with taking her to the doctor. I am so sadden that a mother would starve their child, that is just wrong. It is so nice that you are taking care of those kids, they are very lucky to have such a wonderful mommy to care for and love them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• could be the previous experience..i worked with people from abusive backgrounds and wanted to eat and/or drink everything in sight..or..it could be diabetes..get her blood checked out..good luck..hope shes just thirsty!!
    ta2chef

Answer by ta2chef at 12:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009