Is it important to you that your child learn more than one language?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I honestly think that in todays world it is. I live in Texas and in some parts of Dallas and a lot of places in South Texas, you have to know Spanish to even find your way around! I don't and it has become a huge problem for me because I have to call my friend to translate everything! I want to learn Spanish as well as German because of my heritage.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 6:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's not that important, but it would be nice. I'm Hispanic and I speak Spanish fluently. My husband is White and doesn't speak Spanish. I think it's good to pass on some kind of family heritage. He's just a baby so I don't know how I will go upon teaching him when he gets a little older, but I will try.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 6:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Miss Baby Baker... the best thing to do is for you to only speak spanish to your child, starting as early as possible, and your husband to only speak English. Babies are sponges and he'll learn both.... real fast.
    Anonymous

• Id love for my kids to learn a 2nd (ASL) or 3rd language (spanish)... I know its important to learn spanish in america.. but for me whats more important is SIGN LANGUAGE! Not being able to speek english here is the other person fault.... A deaf person cannot control not being able to hear...

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I dont think its imperative, but I do think that its a benefit. I think I would want my children to be fluent in English, and French. I could care less if they know spanish, but it would be a good additive to a resume. Bilingual people are needed in many jobs. Some require it. I think that children who know more than one langauge are generally smarter children who do better on tests and have higher IQ's. It helps you with knowing langauge of origin by using the root words. Its just a good thing, but I do like the idea of sign langauge. Thats a good idea. If we could all do sign langauge, the world would be a quieter place...LOL....That should be the universal langauge...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yes, We are living in such a world now that I think it's vital to learn a second language or third.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes it is important for my child to learn another language or even more than 1 language. In today's world knowing more than English will help in the business world and to obtain a well paying job. Also, colleges require 2 years of a foreign language either before entrance or during college.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009