When did you start letting your kid choose what they wear for the day?

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 6:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 2 and I let him help choose, especially if we aren't going anywhere special.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 6:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I let them choose when they could walk. Now if we were going somewhere nice I would choose and I still do till this day and my kids are 8 & 5. It funny to see what they come up with when you are just at home!! LOL
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I let my oldest choose(aged 4) but most of the time I end up having to change C's top/bottoms/both(she doesn't seem to have much co-ordination!) and I 'sort of' let my 2 year old choose, I choose 2 outfits, then let her decide which one, so I'm sort of making the choice for her!
    mummy24

Answer by mummy24 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• When Destiny started school at the age of 4. Lil J would probably choose his swimming trunks or one of his old halloween costumes if i let him choose...he's 3.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• But if I know we won't be leaving the house I leave them to it but only because 9 times out of 10 they end up as fairies, a Disney princess or an animal of some sort!! The joys of a dressing up box!!
    mummy24

Answer by mummy24 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think it depends on the kid, my oldest started dressing himself when he was like 6. My eight year old in the other hand still wants me to pick out his clothes, he did it on his own for a while but then wanted me to pick it out..idk if it's because he's the baby or what.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DD is 18 now. From the start, she picked it and I decided if it was weather appropriate. When she started picking out what she wanted at the store (I was to the point it just seemed like the clothes kids wore were ridiculous looking) I basically told her "Don't ask me if I like it because chances are I won't. (She thought that was funny.) Just don't buy anything that you hang out of because I won't let you wear it out of the house." It worked for us.

My SD, on the other hand, lived the first 4 years of her life wearing stained yard sale clothes and hand me downs that didn't fit her (including used underwear that other children had gone to the bathroom in - disgusting) because dad isn't into "fashion" at all and BM could care less about her. We try to teach her what is weather appropriate and I try to teach her what looks ok together. But at the age of 8 we still struggle with this because BM still buys her nasty stuff.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As soon as he showed signs that he wanted some control - so around 2. At that point, I would offer him choices between two things and he would get to choose. Now that he's almost 4, he picks it all out himself from his clothes drawers.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Around 2 years old I would choose a pair of pants and then put a couple shirts on the bed for them to choose from that would match the pants. Now at 4 my son can wear whatever he wants as long as it is weather appropriate and he doesn't always match, but oh well.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Around 2 or three we started picking clothes out at night. Sometimes I would offer choices and sometimes I would let her choose.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009