Why did you decide to use a pacifier?

I dont know HOW i could do it without one. I use them when they sleep and when i am feeding one my twins and the other one is fussy. What about you? When did u wean them off it, and how did you do it? How old were they? I saw a like-7 year old girl with one and she was in the shopping cart...it was one of the green hospital given soothies. OMG it was so small for her face, it looked so funny. Please dont do that to your kids! THey will end up having buck teeth when they are older!!!!

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I let my babies decide. My daughter hated it so she never had one or sucked her thumb now my son had one till he was almost 4 and it took forever for him to give it up until one day he threw it away when we were at the ER visiting someone...he walked right over and threw it in the trash without me saying anything. I dont think its harmful at all. It keeps them quiet and sometimes helps with teething...
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 6:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We weren't planning on using one but our oldest ended up being a preemie and he needed it to get sucking down. After that we saw how "helpful" they are that we gave one to our second and will our third as well. Our second is 1 1/2 and still has it. He is very attached. I am waiting until after the baby comes to take it away, so around his second birthday most likely. Our oldest got rid of his at 20 months. We were at daycare ( he was in my room) and it was naptime. I got out his pacifier and it had a hole in it. I told him we had to throw it away and that was the end of it.
    Anonymous

• Well as a new mother, I found them a life saver when my baby would could NOT be calmed down with anything else I tried. He's my first and is only 4 months old so I have yet to wean him. I plan on starting to wean him off the pacifier once he turns 1 year.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 6:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I did not use pacifiers. I don't like the way the look (nothing against others who use them/just not for me). However, my littlest brother-in-law (he's a year younger than my dd), had one 'til he was 5. His mom tried and tried to take them away with no luck. Then, I had to babysit him for a summer. I told him we weren't going to use the pacifier any more because they are for babies and I KNOW he's a big boy, about to start school. I threw away every pacifier she packed for him until they were all gone. He never even cried about it, which makes me think it was more for her comfort than his.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I have no problem popping a paci in my ten month old's mouth and letting him have some comfort considering right now, he accepts it from no one. He hates cuddle time, I can't bottle feed him without him laying across my lap slightly propped up and sometimes, he will only take a bottle if he is in his carseat. Some people believe a binky, paci, whatever you want to call it is only a tool created for lazy moms. Im not lazy by any means. I have my days that I dont want to do a single thing besides relax in my house by my self but I try to keep a clean house and dinner cooked for my husband. I chose to use on because i don't think they're bad, I think they help with teething and that extra bit of comfort babies always need that sometimes moms cant dish out. I hope to have him weaned from it when he's 18 months but if it takes longer, thats ok too.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 7:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I actually didn't get to make the decision. From the second he was born my son hated his pacifier. We would have preferred he use one, especially at 3am when he'd been fed, changed, and rocked and still showed no signs of going back to sleep. But at least this way we never had to wean him off of it. My only advice is what my mom did for my sister and me. She just told us we weren't going to use it anymore. Period. There were a few days of crying but after that it was a done deal. I've seen Super Nanny use the "Binky Fairy", they leave the binky for the fairy to take to a baby that needs it and the kid gets a little toy in exchange.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 7:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I tried with my daughter...since she used my boob as a paci. LOL She wanted nothing to do with it. Just wanted to nurse constantly.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 7:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son loved his. At the age of 2 we took it away and he cried for 3 days and got over it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son was a preemie and he had to learn to suck. The paci was great. Later it was a source of comfort as he had frequent ear infections and the sucking seemed to ease the pressure. He was 2 1/2 when we "took" it. We told him that a baby needed it and he couldn't have it anymore. He cried for a couple of days but not really badly. He is 3 1/2 now and every once in a while he will ask for his "Appi" as he called it.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 7:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My first son was very attached but at a point he started only using it to sleep with. We just kind of took them away. I liked it because it was soothing for him as an infant so it would help if we were out and he started to fuss and I read that it helps prevent SIDS so it was comforting to me too. My youngest, though, did NOT enjoy a pacifier at all, from day one, so we never used it with him. And, yes, please, don't let your 7 year olds have pacifiers. lol.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2009