How important is nurtrition to you during pregnancy ?

I'm just about in my last month of pregnancy and nutrition has been extremely important to me for my entire pregnancy. My friend doesn't seem concerned by nutrition at all and it concerns me a little.

ALL she eats, by her own self admission, is cheese fries, pizza rolls, and frozen pizzas. I try to encourage her to have some carrot sticks or a salad when we go out to eat but she refuses and orders her cheese fries as her dinner!!

She's 20 weeks pregnant and I'm really worried about her!

Now I'm not saying I don't give into my cravings. I crave curly fries BAD with this pregnancy and I DO have them one time a week but can you grow a healthy baby on cheese frie, pizza rolls and Totinos frozen pizza?

She makes very good money so it's not that she can't afford healthier foods. She just chooses not to have them.

HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE HER TO EAT HEALTHIER???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It isn't your concern. You worry about your body and baby- if she is taking prenatals/folic acid she is probably fine. To each is their own :) it isn't like she is smoking or drinking while pregnant
    Anonymous

• I don't mean to be rude but this is my BEST FRIEND! She's practically like a sister to me and her baby is like my niece. I am concerned because I love her.

And you can't get everything you need from a freaken prenatal vitamin.
    Anonymous

• u guys are close maybe trick her and tell her u wanna go to a resturant and take her to souplantation...its good there!! tell her how concerned you are and that the baby needs his nutrition through brocolli, carrots, healthy food its not like she has to give up fatty foods but to also mix healthy food too. good luck!
    preggyjackie21

Answer by preggyjackie21 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Although this is my first baby, I agree that nutrition IS VERY important! I read a great book called "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth", and she discusses the importance of nutrition. I believe she's on UTube also. According to her and her studies a lot of problems in labor may come from a poor diet during pregnancy. A lot of woman don't worry about problems because they figure well that's why there's a doctor, medical staff, drugs, and machines. It's a lot simpler and wiser for you and the baby to just eat right and avoid whatever problems may occur. I have been eating quite healthy and have not taken any vitamins. Everytime I go to the doctor I check out great! No worries here. :) Some people there is just no convincing. But your friend should be eating better for HER health too!
    darcierg

Answer by darcierg at 7:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I guess the best thing you can do is talk to her. You can't make her listen though. I understand being concerned for your friend. Just make sure she is taking her vitamins and hope for the best. But just so you know. My DH lost his job 7 months into my first pregnancy. all we could afford was Quick Trip hot dogs, ramen noodles and totinos pizza. We did have fruit and milk in the house to but all in all we could not afford to be very healthy. My son turned out just fine. Tell her your concerns and try to help her out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My sister and I both pregnant, and as soon as I found out I was pregnant I change my whole diet to eat healthy for my baby. My sister, on the other hand, changed nothing, she eats fast food and deserts all the time, pretty much no fruits and veggies. All I can do is keep telling her to eat better for the health of her baby. I also did research and e-mailed her articles showing the benefits of healthy eating but she doesn't listen.
    Anonymous

• I can completly understand where you're coming from. It's so nice of you to be concerned about her. I had the talk with my best friend too, I thought the way to encourage more healthy foods is to have her over for dinner and have all healthy stuff, Maybe by her eating with you, she will see that having a balance is a better thing for her and her baby.
    If not you tried, I agree that nutrition is very important, you can't possibly get all the vitamins from prenatals. Hopefully, she will be able to subside her unhealthy cravings just a bit and incorpate some fruits, veggies and grains, like the food pyramid
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009