Do you give money to the homeless?

When you drive by someone with a sign, do you give them money, or assume they will spend it on alcohol?

I always give a dollar if I have cash. It's not much, but at least they can buy little something to eat. My husband thinks they'll just waste it, but I figure, you never know.. How about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• All the time when I see a couple side the road Ill give them a couple of dollars. I remember one time when I was working at the gas station with my manager and we saw this young hippy couple beside the road with a sign and we brought them in the store and gave them a goody bag. It was the best feeling in the entire world. Now if I see a drunk wino asking for change and if there if there is a store nearby Ill buy them something to eat. 9 years ago before Destiny was born I let this little young white girl {I think she was a hooker} take a shower and wash her hair. I gave her some of my clothes also. I always saw her walking up and down the street with that same ole shopping cart. Guess what she is now an army leutinent{sp}. The last time I saw her was a year ago in her uniform and I cried when I saw her because I was so proud. When she saw me she asked if I wanted to go out to dinner but I had Lil J and Destiny with m
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't. =( I would if I could, but honestly, I haven't got any spare money.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 7:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It depends if its the same person I see everyday on the street asking no if not yeah at times but one time a guy had a sign up that he was a starving diabetic so i went and got him lunch with a diet coke and he got mad and was like I could use the money more WTF I just drove off before I got rude with him lol

Anonymous

• Usually I don't have any money to spare, but sometimes I feel the need to do a good deed or be a good Samaritan, regardless of what they REALLY end up doing with money or whatever. After all, it's the good gesture that counts. If someone has a sign that says they are hungry, though, and I have a little money to spare, I'll go buy them something to eat. If they are really hungry, they should be okay with that. And who knows...what if pick the right person and change their life with just a small bit of kindness.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 7:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• nope.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I absolutely do not. I don't know if they're really homeless, or what they're going to spend the money on. However, I have volunteered in shelters and do donate food to distribution centers. Another note: be careful who you are rolling your window down for; in this day and age, who knows what could happen?
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• e so I declined. But I don't mind helping people at all.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• See what I mean (in response to diamondmamma)....one small gesture could change someone's life.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I use to give them whatever I could.. weather it was change in my cigerate thingy in the car... Or a few bucks from my purse..... BUT THEN....
    DH got a job in houston... He seen the same homeless people day in & day out get handed money & come back the next day... DH said those people probley make 100's a day! then there are alot of food banks in the area that feed them for free & give them a cot... so what are they doing with the money!?
    For some--- being homeless is actually a JOB! They have a home. a decent car. ect.... they are just lazy & know they can make a tax free profit!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• PS. Now if I can go buy a burger or have a bag of chips in may car... id rather hand that out now.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009