Goin Natural!

Anybody here have their baby completely natural. No meds, no doctors, even by themselves? I know it's possible and it's what I really want to do. People think I'm crazy, but I'm just trusting the Universe. It'd be neat to hear other's stories.

darcierg

Asked by darcierg at 7:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ive never had a completely natural birth that wasnt interfered by medicine or doctors but i wouldn't suggest a home birth by yourself. anything could go wrong and you wouldnt know what to do incase of an emergency. thats why i get the epidural so if i need an emergency c-section thats already taken care of. you should let the professionals handle it or you might put yourself or your baby at risk
    Anonymous

• A good friend of mine had her son at a birthing center. She went into labor, drove to the birthing center, had a lovely water birth with no meds, no dr's, (midwife or doula instead) and her and her boyfriend drove themselves home a couple of hours later. The center was affiliated with a hospital in case of emergency.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree to a point with ANon614-
    I personally think natural child birth is beautiful!
    there is no type of connection you can ever feel than the one of giving birth to your child and being one with your own body to achieve a goal and I wouldnt have my kids any other way.
    HOWEVER, you should never attempt an unassisted birth, its dangerious, if something should go wrong, the baby be breach or something of that nature there needs to be somone who is trained to handle the situation.
    A midwife will let you and your husband or partner handle it and she will sit back and observe and in the chance that maybe his shoulder gets stuck or a cord is wrapped and your husband gets scared or paniced she will step in and help.
    You still have done it on your own, there is just someone there for back up and support.
    its best for you, and best for your baby!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 7:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Join Birth Is Normal here on Cafemom. Those women can help you and give you plenty of positive stories instead of uneducated responces by people who haven't ever done it.

I personally haven't had one but I would love to.
    Anonymous

• If I had tried to go completely natural me and my son would have died. He was stuck face up in my pelvis at delivery. I had to have an emergency C-Sec. I think it's really awesome that so many women have been able to go with out meds! I also have a lot of respect for women who have done home births with a midwife. I'm not sure how safe it would be to forgo all medical personnel though. What if something happened? And I DON'T think you are crazy at all. I think that you just have a well though out plan of how you would like things to go but please please please don't get to stuck in your plan. Leave room for Emergencies and complications. Maybe turn your plan into preferences with secondary preferences in case of Emergency. Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my response wasnt uneducated i was trying to give her realistic advice of the consequences if she gave birth by herself at home. i commend any woman for her strength that goes completely natural but i guess anon721 is quick to jump to the conclusion that im uneducated.
    Anonymous

• I don't think anyone is trying to 'sound uneducated' Just concerned. Besides aren't you best educated if you hear all sides?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I thank EVERYBODY for their answers! I encourage those who rely solely on the hospital and medical staff to check out this midwife's book called, "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." She looks at the pros and cons of hospitals and at home births. It's not about unassisted childbirth but one with a midwife. I believe more complications arise from being induced, poor nutrition, and FEARING childbirth. This is one thing that has been around since the beginning of time. What I don't like about hospitals is they are ready to induce eary and at their convenience, they don't let you change positions the way we naturally feel, they also don't let you eat or drink anything! CRAZY! From what I understand labor is a very physical process (obviously) and how are you going to have energy without food or at least juice! Now maybe one doesn't feel like eating but I would like it to be at least available.
    darcierg

Answer by darcierg at 7:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For a low risk women the chances of something going wrong when there aren't upteen million medical interventions that often CAUSE the problems is very small.

A women has a 1 in 3 chance of having a c-section just by walking into the Labor and Delivery floor. Our induction, c-section and augmentation rate in this country are out of control and well above what the World Health Organizations says is acceptable.

Statistics show that first time moms who give birth at home have just a good outcomes as those who deliver in hospital naturally and women who have given birth before have BETTER outcomes than women who given birth in the hospital.

A midwife is a wonderful thing to have and is something I would choose but when women are left alone and not messed with there is often not a reason for the midwife to even be there.

Also being educated in general and educated about normal, natural birth are 2 different things.
    Anonymous

• lol I couldn't eat at the hospital with my son for 36 hours! Then the C-Sec. My DH snuck my Chicken broth and jello in . lol! They did let me have water and sprite. I had a great Doctor who would have let me change positions but i had to have an epi after 24 hours of straight hard labor. I was exhausted and would have never made it through the pushing with out rest. My Doctor did in fact try to educe me but i said no. My son ended up being 10 days late. I was soo sad i had to have the epi and then C-Sec. I made it to 7.5 cent before I was to tired to go on. I wanted to try again with my second but she was face up to and would have likely got her chin stuck as well. I wish you luck and am glad to hear you are going to have a mid wife!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009