how often do your in laws see your kids?

i have a very diffcult relationship with my mother in law ;and i wish i didnt see her as much i do.. i find that the more im around her the harder time i have with being nice to her. anywys ..its a long story but i think she is self ish and she thinks im crazy .. but i dont want my problems with her to stop my son from having a relationship with his grandparents.. i had very close relationship with my own grandparents that meant alot to me.. so my question is?? .... if the in laws live like a half an hour awy what is a normal healthy amount of time that they should spend there grand kids.. my son does have a blast at their house!!... so even though being around my mil is hard i do think that it would be selfish of me to hold him back from them ..thoughts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• we only see our family once a year but we live 500 miles away from them :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• WE ONLY LIVE ABOUT 30MIN FROM BOTH SET OF OUR PARENTS AND THEY ONLY SEE THE KIDS WHEN WE TAKE THEM OVER THERE... THEY DONT COME OVER HERE NOT SURE WHY MAYBE THEY ARE LAZY
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 7:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my MIL & FIL live 45min away from us... They come down every weekend, pick up DD & go visit with other family (aunt-in-law, grandmother-in-law) that live in town... So dd spends atleaste 5hrs on sat or sun with them every week (very rare they dont come -- maybe every few months they skip a week)... and then about 1-2 times a month dd will go to their house & spend the night or sometimes 2 nights...
    My dd is 2.5.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mine live a 7 hour drive away and both work full time so it's hard for them to get vacation time together, and when they do, they tend to stay home and enjoy each other. We go up a couple of times a year (my family lives just down the road) so they only get a few days a year total, maybe.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I also was never close to my mil, she didn't speak to me the first 6 mos. we were married, and rarely after that for years. My inlaws hardly spent time with our kids and my parents esp my dad stopped by to see the kids almost every day. ( we all live within a mile of each other ) I've always had an open door policy, everyone is welcome any time. My inlaws never invite our kids over to their home, my mil has taken the kids swimming in summer when kids were little, but even when the kids ask if they can sleep over my mil says well, we will see....never happens. My parents have the grandkids over for dinner and game night, and sleepovers or to go on adventures as they call them. They take the grandkids on vacations. My point in this is....when my Dad found out that he had bone cancer 11 yrs ago my kids were devestated, when he died 7yrs later they were so devestated once again and went through such a tough time!!! They were..con
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 7:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• so close to him. Then when my fil found out he was full of cancer the kids were sorry to hear about it and felt bad for their Dad. But they don't have a close relationship with this grandpa so they don't have the same feelings about this situation as the other grandpa. My husband doesn't really understand.

Even if your son goes over to your inlaws on his own he should go as often as he likes and they would like. You could call her and ask her. It will be good for both sides.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 7:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• FIL/SMIL own their own business and work a ton of hours so we see them maybe 2-3 times a month and we will go down for the whole wkend every now and then. MIL is a manipulative, nasty emotionally abusive alcoholic so she has ZERO contact with the our kids and she lives 15 mins away. She hasn't seen my oldest in 2 yrs and she's never met my 7 month old.

My parents live in MA and we're in FL so we see them 1-3 times a yr depending on everyones schedules.
    Anonymous

• We live about 20 minutes away from both sets of parents. They see them at least once a week.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 7:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• we live about 30 minutes away from my inlaws and id say my daughter sees them every other weekend or every 2 -3 weeks. thats a good amount i think at least its the best we can do right now.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 7:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My so's mom won't come to my house to see the baby, and I won't go to hers. She is a nutcase, and I refuse to step foot into her home. She has threatenend me with lawsuits, spread lies about me, ruined my relationship with my so... But, she has been told she can come HERE to see the baby. So far she has refused. Her loss...I don't mind if she has a relationship with my daughter...my mom is deceased, so she's my baby's only grandmother (unfortunately). It's sad that her grandmother can't be bothered with her. That's ok though. There's more than enough love coming from her mom and dad!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009