potty training question....

we are trying to potty train our 2 1/2 year old. within the last couple days, Andy will not even sit on his potty for me. but if his dad is home or asks him to try he will. why wont he do it for me? i dont understand.

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He might feel more comfortable with dad. Maybe you are pushing too hard? Or maybe not hard enough....Try whatever works for him...Try to make it fun for him throw some cheerios and tell him to "shoot" them
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 7:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• maybe it is an issue with you being a girl? Give him some privacy!
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 7:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It may be as heather says - it may also be that he knows he can say NO to you and you won't kill him. It's why most kids will behave for others but not for mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• How are you trying? I mean when I PT'ed my DD at first I would just ask her if she wanted to go...or if she needed to go...and it was always NO! But after a few days of this, I would just take her diaper off and let her be naked...when she needed to go, she would go sit on it and go. I made sure I had the potty wherever she was...kitchen, living room, her room...etc..it took a few days of getting the hang of it and a few puddles to clean up but she caught on pretty quick. When she got really good I added panties...then when she got really good at getting the panties up and down I added pants ( no buttons all elastic waist...to make it easier for her) Now its been since December and she is a pro! (she was 2 1/2 when we started it all)
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• OOH I forgot! her "rewards" were M&M's...can give ALOT at first and dwindle the amount of the "reward" down slowly as it becomes routine.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i have been putting him on the potty every morning and each time he goes, he gets a treat. but for the past few days he doesnt even want to sit on the potty. normally throughout the day, i will ask him if he needs to go and if he does, he will take off his diaper and go. now he doesnt do it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009