WIC

SO i went to WIC today they told me my son is too FAT! he needs to loose weight..

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/JulieDon1019/ant/at20home20002MA23803878-0002.jpg[/IMG]

is he? he's 2.5 yrs and weighs 45lbs.. i think hel ooks fine does he? or is he actually fat? like this dumb lady said!

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If your pediatrician is not concerned, then I wouldn't worry. My son was 20 lbs at 3 months old and they told me I should feed him less. I don't think so, I feed children when they are hungry. I also take my doctors advice over WIC's, they are only Nutritionists, not doctors. Also, if you aren't worried about your sons weight, don't listen to WIC. He will even out as he starts growing taller. I have found that WIC thinks they are the experts at everything and every child. I walked out of the WIC office after throwing the coupons at them when they started bad mouthing me because of how I was feeding my almost 1 year old (at the time). My doc was well aware of how I was feeding my son and he had no problem with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• How tall is he? My 2.5 year old is between 25-30 lbs but he is little. My five year old is only 42 lbs and the dr told me he was a little big.
    Anonymous

• why don't you talk to his pediatrician about it, if it's something you are really concerned about. (we can't see the pic! )
    Anonymous

• If he is drinking lots of water, eating fruit, vegetables, whole grains and other high fiber foods like beans, lentils, etc., then I would not worry about it.
    If he eat processed foods filled with white flour and high fructose corn syrup, among other bad-for-you-foods, then you need to change the foods that you buy.
    If you would like some easy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes, send me a message (I am not selling anything, I just love helping families eat better)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Like the previous poster pointed out it would depend on his height also. I don't know what the average weight range is for that age but my SD is 8 years old and weighs 46 lbs. However, she is small for her age (BM is 4' 9"). She weighed 44 lbs 3 1/2 years ago. It really depends on his height and build more than anything I would think.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think it's a little rude to whine about WIC, seeing as they are providing free food for your child. If you don't like what they have to say, then stop accepting the freebies...otherwise you're being a hypocrite. If your child IS fat, then stop trying to justify his weight problem-start feeding him healthier food and stop all of the sweets and fruit juices. Someitmes we as mothers just don't want to hear the truth about our children, which is normal.
    Anonymous