Who has ever been saved for a GREAT reason?

Everytime someone is saved from a freak accident, or the only survivor of like a plane crash, or makes it through some harrowing surgery as a child someone inevitably will say "he/she's meant for something great". I have literally never heard anyone who has done something great say, "I was the only survivor of [enter mass tragedy here] and if I hadn't survived [whatever great thing they did] would never have happened. It truly was an act of God that I survived." Nope, no one EVER says that. So why do people insist survivors were "meant" for something great when in reality, they just got lucky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, Barack Obama was *saved* (by his own willpower IMO) from drug abuse to become the (hopefully)-savior of our nation...
    That's pretty great... but maybe not what you were looking for??...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think "something great" is relative. I would think that surviving and living life afterward is something great enough. Or having an good impact on someone's life that they wouldn't have if they'd died. I'm sure that throughout the lives of many survivors there have been many great things done but we are just unaware of them. Like I said, it's all relative.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree with KelleyP77. Maybe they changed a childs life for the better. Maybe they helped an ederly person when no one else would? Maybe they were just decent to a homeless person and treated them with respect? All of those things are important and we would never hear about them.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• But when people say "they're meant for something great" do you really think they mean that the person might be decent to a homeless person or do you think they mean something the entire world will notice as great?
    Anonymous

• It's anyone's guess at the meaning behind the words. But yeah, some times, a person does survive a great tragedy and yes, they did survive to do something great. Why would that bother others anyway? Great things CAN come in the smallest package, you know. It's all relative.
    Anonymous

• I can't speak for anyone else but if that is their story or reason, I am happy for them.
    Myself, I am just happy that I am saved at all. I turned away from God for many years and had a really bad life and made some really bad choices.
    Once I got back into God's grace and put my life back in His hands, I was born again, refreshed, and after 10 years, have never been happier!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well, I can speak personally, I had actually 2 very near death experiences and I truley believe God needed me on Earth for a certain reason. For what? Not that sure yet. Maybe it could be that one day I will turn into the right lane and make someone slow down so they don't hit the lil kid walking across the street, or maybe one of my children will grow to do something spectacular in their life, maybe one day I will be in a restaurant and give cpr to a choking child. Whatever the reason, there IS a reason. Even if you don't know, God may have made you do something that has saved someones life. Maybe you gave a smile to a depressed person and made them happy, maybe you called your friend on their way out the door and they missed getting in a car accident because of it. You may never know, but I do belive it!
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009