What would the school do?

My DD's bday is in late OCT. so she will be starting school at age 6 instead of 5.... But it looks like she is already going to know what they are teacher before she even gets in Kindergarden... Will they skip her a grade because she knows it all? Or will they let her stay for social reasons?
Im having such a hard time with this! Id like for her to be homeschooled so she can continue learning at her own pace. but DH & family doesnt support it... But now I feel like I might as well stop teacher her so she doesnt get screwed when she gets into school!
IM Frustrated!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, they're not going to know that she knows it all. But even if they did, I don't think they'd skip her a grade, not in Kindergarten. Personally, I've always thought that birthday cutoff was stupid anyway. I think it should be a case by case basis, testing the child to see if they are socially and academically ready, instead of saying oh, you were born after X date? Sorry, gotta wait.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No they do not skip grades. YOu would be doing her a huge disservice by even considering it and the things it takes to get her ahead would be a big hassle. Many children have birthdays past the cut off point, but thats just life. There has to be a cut off point for a reason. I know children who have a sept 2nd birthday. So they have to be in the same class as the children whose birthdays are august 31st. They are literally a year older but in the same class. Kindergarten is hard and just because she knows her letters, sounds, numbers, colors and even how to write, does not mean she knows it all. I promise you there will be things that she knows. Socially its much better for her. Now as far as homeschooling...I am a big fan and for just the reasons you mentioned. SO that the children can work at their own pace and they are not bound to certain regulations. I think that this decision should be between you and your dh only.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• His family should have NO opinion about it. If hes not supportive, then keep trying if you want to keep considering it. Maybe after a year of public school, he will understand why you wanted to do it. I think any mom who can HS doesnt understad the blessing that she has. I am homeschooling next year, but this is after 10 yrs in the ps system. My dd is starting 6th grade and my son 2nd grade. I am letting my older 10th grader attend a private school. I am done with the PS system. My daughters birthday is sept 23rd and when she was just about to turn 5, I enrolled her into a private school. They did not yet have their accreditation, but I knew it was just kindergarten and it was not required that she go. IT was a very fast paced advanced cirriculum and I knew she was ready. They allowed her to go and shortly after, they received their accreditation, so shes younger than her entire class. There are downfalls to doing that. GL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Can you put her in Montessori school? They allow kids to move at their own pace. Or, like momofsaee mentioned, perhaps a private school.
    Anonymous

• Do not get ahead of yourself. There is so much more to school than ABC, 123... there is the ability to think critically, get along in a group, share,etc... many parents come in thinking their kids are too smart, but they do not see what we see in school. Very few kids are truly gifted academically (and its not always a good thing to be ultra intelligent) Send your child to school with an open mind and see how it goes. There are so many kids pushed really early and then have a big let down in middle and high school when they find out they are not truly gifted. There is a song that says, "let them be little" and its the truth. As far as being older, be happy it will be an advantage as she progresses through school. High School and college are tough years for kids, so don't rush them there too quickly or send them totally burned out!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• im in the same boat with my dd. here the cut off date is sept 1 her bday is sept 8. she has to wait another year befor she goes to school.she'll be 7 in kidergarten...grr i hate the school system.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• They probably won't let her skip Kindergarten because a lot about Kindergarten is socialization. They may let her skip a later grade or put her in the Gifted Program (honors program). You can request to have her tested to enter Kindergarten early. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• teampalmer4- thanks for the advice! But no im not a parent who pushs her kid AT ALL! I understand there are alot of parents who sit their kids down & make them do flash cards as soon as they can sit up or start having "school time" for 30min or more daily.. We dont do any such things. I read to her when she brings me a book. I point out colors/shapes to her.. She is leading.
    DD is stubborn! I couldnt FORCE her to learn if I tried.. lol...
    Oh And I dont think my child is gifted or talented... Im just worried the school is going to suck the fun out of my child learning! And she will learn to HATE school .... Or maybe she will fall through the cracks.. or get bored..
    *** No we do not have the money for a private school at the moment. Never know what the future holds for us though!
    Anonymous