tryin to get this going already!!!

last time i whent to the doctors i had an internal exam and i hadnt dialted at all!! so dissapointing :( ive ben walking because i had herd that it was a good way to start the labor process, i hadnt ben feeling any contractions or anything like that until today, it was so bad i had to turn around and go back home i really thought that it was time for sure!!! but.. lol.. it of course wasnt. as soon as i got home it stopped :(( does walking even workk?? im terrified of having to be induced i really want him to be able to come on his own. what should i do? has walking worked for any of you? any suggestions??

want2bamommy780

Asked by want2bamommy780 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Google "ways to start labor" and they will give you websites that have lists of things you can try.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 7:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes walking worked for me. Just keep walking a BRISK walk. I even walked while I was IN labor so that I would dilate more so that they would effing admit to the hospital (the doc was a douche, didn't believe I was in labor, boy was he wrong).
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• honestly, with my 2nd child i tried EVERYTHING and nothing seemed to work. perhaps for some women, the natural remedies of ways to induce labor do work, but for me it didn't. the best advice i can give you is to keep walking because its all around good for you and baby and staying active will help you in the labor process, also be as patient as possible. as far as remedies ive heard of that might work for you, sex, eating pineapple, swaying back and forth several times with your knees bent, squats, and even bathing in certain herbal oils. good luck that baby will come before you know it
    Anonymous

• -Raspberry Leaf Tea- Tones the uterus by causing small contractions. For some women this can be the push they need to go into labor and it's VERY good for your uterus. It's actually been shown to reduce labor time, pain and postpartum bleeding.

-Cumin Tea- 1 cumin seed in 1 cup of boiling water, left to steep for 5 minutes. 1 CUP PER HOUR PER DAY. Place a cube of raw potato in the cup to soak up bitterness and add honey or sugar to sweeten. This is used by midwives in Latino communities for women who are at risk for medical induction or for those who are determined to be at a higher risk if they carry past a certain date such as women with gestational diabetes but is effective for many, many women.

Anonymous

• Nipple Stimulation- Breast Pump for 2 minutes, rest for 3 minutes, pump for 2 and then take a 20 minute break and walk. If it doesn't bring on contractions you can up it to 3 minutes pumping, 2 minutes rest, and then 3 minutes pumping but then take another 20 minute break to walk.

Sex- there are prostaglandins in human sperm that help to ripen the cervix. Interestingly these are the SAME prostaglandins that are in Cervidil which is derived from pig sperm and used in inductions in the hospital. Also orgasm can stimulate contractions. Lay in bed for 30 minutes after having intercourse for the sperm to set on your cervix.

Exercise-Exercises that use gravity such as walking, hula dancing, belly dancing, etc. can help apply pressure to the cervix, the baby to "drop" and get things going.

Anonymous

• Bumpy Car Ride- This may sound like an old wives tale but if your baby isn't in a good position for labor (such as facing forward instead of facing down toward your back) this can help him get into a good position and apply pressure to the cervix. A friend of mine actually did this last week and was contracting by the time she got home!

Acupressure- You can find the points on line that stimulate labor.

THINGS THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED ARE:

-Blue or Black Cohosh because they have been related to infant heart attack and severe bleeding during delivery

- Castor Oil because it can severely dehydrate the mother and cause the baby to release meconium which can cause very serious complications during delivery including death to your baby if it is not handled quickly enough and effectively.
    Anonymous

• I went with my friend to her doctor's appointment last week and he told both of us (we're both pregnant and due only a week apart) that the best way to avoid going over your due date and being induced is to have sex every single day in the last few weeks of pregnancy AND do deep squats everyday.

He told us to stand with our feet about sholder width apart and squat all the down like we were trying to pick up something and hold it. He said to start with 10 seconds and gradually move up to as long as we could hold it. He said it's also great for getting your legs into shape for squatting when it's time to push!

He said he recommends this to all low risk women in his practice and that he has sucessfully reduced his induction rates by doing so.

I started this last week and at my check this week I was dialated 1.5 cm and 30% effaced!! I was NOTHING last week! I'm about 36 weeks along!

GL and keep walking! :)
    Anonymous

• Walking and sex helps really! when your baby is ready to come out he or she will let you know. don't get mad. it's just not time for it to come out yet.
    mommyof302

Answer by mommyof302 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i'm trying everything and nothing yet. 40 w & 3 d. It will just happen when your baby is ready...
    My cervix is soft and thin which the midwife says that's all that matters..the dialated means nothing until labor starts.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009