Mayonnaise in your hair?

I have heard of women putting mayonnaise in their haire before but I'm not sure what it does. Does anyone know anything about it? What does it do for you hair....does it have to be mayonnaise or can it be Miracle Whip....how long do you leave it in....etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• NO!NO!NO! Nasty, this used to be done back in the day! It stinks and there is nothing special about it TRUST ME! The smell will be there for days, I've had clients that tried it.....Do NOT use lemon or vinegar!!!!! all the natural oils from your hair will be stripped from the acid in it! It can cause breakage in color treated hair. These are old wives tales. If you want a deep conditioning treatment go to Sally's and get a hair masque. It's cheap, smells better and a helluvalot safer!! As a stylist I have seen a lot of damage from home remedy. I'm not being catty, it's chemistry. Acid cut's oils. And mayonnaise is not going to penetrate the cuticle of your hair, it's not the same type of protein as keratin!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i think it conditions your hair but i dont know how long to leave it on for
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've heard of it only as a treatment for lice...
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've heard of vinegar to shine the hair, and oil treatments to moisturize, so mayo, which has these plus egg, would work. I don't know what is in salad dressing but if it has vinegar and oil, then it should work also. Or you can just use oil treatment, which has nice scents added to it, then rinse with vinegar or lemon juice.

Answer by Bmat at 7:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009