Male dog behavior after nuetering? Spraying/marking?

I really wanted to rescue this female puppy. She is exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is, my application got accepted but someone adopted her first. Her brother is available though. He will be nuetered at 8wks old, before the shelter will adopt him out. Right now I have a puredog male that is not nuetered and he "marks" everything. I can not deal with another dog that pees on everything. If this boy is neutered at such a young age, will it prevent this behavior?

Allie428

Asked by Allie428 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Yes but it can also prevent traits in the dog frrom maturing, depending on bread. What bread is it?
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 7:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My dogs are always neutered right away and I have never had a dog....Mark his territory inside the house. I know they can still "hump" after neutering...but the marking inside I have never dealt with after neutering. Can you phone your vet to make sure?
    T45

Answer by T45 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As long as the pet hasn't already learned this behavior- and found it pleasurable or satisfying in some way- neutering will prevent him from developing the behavior. At 8 weeks he will not have learned marking. The humping thing that T45 referred to can be a dominance thing- that puppies,-geriatric, female and male do. It doesn't always have to do with sex drive.
    jenree

Answer by jenree at 8:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Staffordshire bull terrier/pit bull cross.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My intact male hardly ever humps. But yes I have seen females do it as dominance.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have 3 dogs. 2 neutered, never marked, 7 years old. I have a 9 month old, not neutered, and he "marked" last week for the first time. (meaning in the house). My daughter borrowed a backpack from her friend who has 2 dogs. She put it on the floor and Grady smelled it, lifted his leg and there you go.
    I've never heard of neutering "preventing" it. Territory is territory.
    Also, humping is another thing. That's not necessarily sexual. It's a dominance thing. My 3 do it all the time. Today a co-worker's dachshund tried humping my border collie. haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My male dog currently lifts his leg outside and pees on all my daughters toys. If left unattended in the house he will mark everything in sight. I know it is a territory thing and didnt want another male because of it. Just wondering if nuetered males also do that. I have pretty much only had females before my current male.

Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• cut males do not have the tendency towards marking as intact males do
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009