• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone else have a 12-18 month old that has a HUGE belly?

Ever since my daughter turned 1 she has had this really large belly. She's not fat by any means and in fact is tall for her age. She almost looks like an Ethiopian baby with her skinny legs and large belly. Her stomach is so hard it looks like she's pregnant. I doubt she could see her toes if she tried to look down. Is this normal or do you think I should get it checked out?

SBC0110

Asked by SBC0110 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HA!HA! My son cracks me up! It looks like a little beer belly. At the end of the day his half inny turns into a total outy! It looks almost like a 2nd weenie! We make the joke he's like a Thanksgiving Turkey, he pop's out when he's done.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's totally normal. My daughter has always been underweight but around 1 she had a big belly too. She'll grow out of it or into it.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As long as you are not over feeding her and she is getting enough water to have a b.m she shoulb be fine. But if your concerned talk to your doctor. Is your child getting light exercise too? Nothing extreme but 10 to 15 min. swimming, or walking?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Do you notice that her stomach is bigger after she eats?She may be getting air in her stomach while she eats.You can try some gas drops and see if that help but if you are really worried you should see your dr.That happens to my son and he just got a ct scan to see if that is what it really is and it was alot of air and we give him gas drops and he burps and farts and in a while his belly goes down.
    77mommie

Answer by 77mommie at 1:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Have you recently switched to cow milk? Has she ever shown symptoms of food allergies? Here is my thoughts, I believe she is probably just normal. But watch for extra gas than normal, because lactose caused the lower intestines to produce MAJOR gas that stores in both the colon and stomache, so becareful she isn't really suffering from intollerance.
    sarahnicely

Answer by sarahnicely at 2:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks for all the great answers!!
    I took her to the doctor last week and was told to give her Miralax for a few months once a day with juice or water. Her Bm's have been somewhat runny but she doesn't look Ethiopian anymore! Yay!!!!
    SBC0110

Answer by SBC0110 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009