How do u deal with a 2 year old that wont listen to a thing u say?

she is not listing to a thing i say and gets in to every thing i tell her not to

NevaehsMommy69

Asked by NevaehsMommy69 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ha my son as well. id like to hear others advice on this
    Anonymous

• Stern consistent discipline.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to motherhood, that's what I would say LOL...No some kids are very difficult at this age, some are not. They call it the terrible twos for a reason, they are coming into their own, wanting to more independent and explore their world, the best thing you can do is provide a safe environment, set realistic limits and start time outs. Remember she is only 2, not an adult, and her attention span is shorter. Parenting classes might help you understand her more at this stage and the best way to handle her...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I use time-outs && spankings with mine. I have started a new thing recently where I will tell him to do something && then count to 3. He knows that if I get to 3 that means he will be punished, && it works about 85% of the time. Usually he doesn't let me get past 2. This makes things easier on both of us. It gives him the "independence" to make a decision && he does what I want without me having to punish him quite so much.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i made up mommy time out!!! lol i have a very short fuse when it comes to disrespect...my son is 3 and doesn't listen to ne thing i say...i've tried everything...from spanking to time out....taking things away nothing works. the newest thing i've tried is telling him i'm going to call daddy.. he straightens right up for about 5 minutes....i've just learned to pick my battles
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I read and read until something works. The book I've found to be a miracle cure for the 3 year olds is "Setting Limits with your Strong-Willed Child". It worked like a charm; and I didn't even have to read the whole book.
    mybabies

Answer by mybabies at 9:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Have you tried watching that SuperNanny chick? We were having problmes with our two year old after reading her book it totally changed her behavior. But you have to be consistant, and on the same page with her father. Because if your punishing the child differently for the same thing it won't work.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I try to spend one on one time with my toddler doing planned activities, so he is not left to do things he should not be doing. So I spend 30 minutes with him, then I work on a chore for a bit, then I go back and spend some more one on one time with him, then chores, and so goes the day.

I don't tell him to do things, IF I can ask him to choose between two activities. "It is not time to play in the pet's food dish, would you like to eat a snack or color on your craft table?"

Once I have told him "stop" or "no" and he ignores me 2 more times (so essentially he gets only 2 warnings), he is removed from the situation or I leave, whichever fits the scenario. I do this consistently and regularly.

Good luck.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The same way you deal with 15yr that won't listen to a thing you say. You take away their toys!!!!
    ladyblue32

Answer by ladyblue32 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Children quickly learn that all the adults in their lives have limits to what they will tolerate and some let them by with more than others. If you tell your little one to do something and she doesn't, the expectation should be that your child will listen and follow directions even if you have to "help them" follow through. If you tell your child to pick up toys and they say,"No!" or run away from you, you calmly go to her and take her to the area to be picked up and tell her again, this time being more specific. Ex. "please pick up the blocks." and take her hand in your hand and "help" her pick up the block. Even when you "help" her, once it is done you praise her for doing it. Basically, when you give your daughter a direction, she needs to learn that you expect her to comply and if she does not on her own, then you will help her. If she is strong willed, try giving her a choice or make her think she has. (cont)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009