Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about scoliosis?

My daughter's 27 yr. old boyfriend just found out he has it. He had some testing done b/c of pain (thinking maybe early arthritis) and the diagnosis is scoliosis. He's really upset!

Answer Question

Asked by PSMother at 8:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • My mother has it, her spine is curves like an S shape AND twisted as well.

    It causes her a lot of pain. As far as we know their is nothing that can be done if the person has stopped growing, if they are still a child, then surgery can be done to correct the problem.

    my mother gets Walking Epidurals from time to time to ease the pain and this helps her to keep going with life.

    B/C of her curve in her spine it causes one of her hips to be higher than the other. It basically throws her whole body out of alignment which is what causes the pain. Hers is pretty severe.

    Soliosis however, does NOT cause a HUMP back, that is Osteoporosis, a completely different thing. My mother does not have that, so to look at her you really dont notice anything,

    She is my mom so I do notice a slight limp and her shoulder blades are a bit different....but nothing outragous.

    Its pretty rare for a male to have it....

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • The chiropractor can help a little, but not much. My mom relies a lot on the heating pad, chiropractor and walking epi's for the most part.

    She is strong and doesnt let it stop her, its just a condition that you have to deal with, nothing that should stop life....

    I hope he feels better about the Diagnosis soon! Message me if you want.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • my husband found out a few years ago that he has it too.he has a complete reversal. when we can afford it he goes to a chiropractor. it is uncomfortable since he has such a serious problem but it helps a lot. the more often he goes the better.the longer you let it go the worse it can get. i highly recommend seeing a chiropractor. i would not recommend surgery! i did research and the drs that do the surgery have admitted that it does no good.

    Answer by bettylou420 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I can help you herbally if you are interested email with your question.

    Answer by GarlicMom at 11:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • I have it. Not to terribly bad though. I already had one leg that was longer than the other which they think is the cause of my scoliosis. I also have other leg problems. I see a chiropractor when we can afford it but otherwise I just try not to do to much walking. No fun when you have 2 kids.

    Answer by sadira29 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • My scoliosis first started bothering me 25 years ago; my doctor told me that I would need surgery within 5 years. My chiropracter has kept me pain and surgery free for 25 years.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • I have had mild scoliosis too and my chiro has fixed me right up. I dont think its an issue anymore. I had many neck and back issues when I first started seeing him in Jan and now my neck is only bothersome here and there as opposed to everday. The knot on my neck from years of heavy breasts is gone. I also had a reduction. The only problems I have now are my hip bothering me and my right leg. I think its from sleeping on my right side too much. I also sleep about 10 hrs a night. My body doesnt care for that...LOL.... Seriously if its not too serious, then a good chiro can help. IF its severe, they might want him to wear a brace to help correct it. IT can be corrected but it takes time. Good luck to him.

    Answer by momofsaee at 7:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • I have it. Yes, my back hurts and I can't do things like sit ups or touch my toes, but its not life threatening. He will live! He just can't do things, like go in the military.

    Answer by ABPeterson at 8:32 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • It all depends on how severe his scoliosis is. I also have a mild case of it and the only time it bothers me is if I do a lot of walking without resting. I was diagnosed in 1988. I have found that when mine is acting up I can take advil and use a heating pad on my back and the pain eases up.
    Check out and type in scoliosis. They have imformation you may find helpful.

    Answer by deltadawn1975 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • I have it, and it all depends on how bad it is, and where it's at.

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.