Packing easier for babies and Toddlers? What is more important how much you pack? How do you pack? separate or together?

I'm trying to understand how different Moms packs when we go traveling. I have a little one. First time Mom. I travel with 2 bags. I for Dad and I and the other one for my little one.
I'm doing this research of what can make our lifes easier if we could pack organized, easy and fast. Since there is like a million things from bottles, formula, diapers, 2 clothing changes per day, toys, meds, bath items, pacifier etc...
Do you think is better to pack less and figure it out at your destination? Or should you pack everything just in case?
Should it be in Mom-baby Suitcase
or just Baby-Todler Suitcase?

Love to hear your thoughts!!

lexilumom

Asked by lexilumom at 8:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Travel

• When we went to California with my 2 yr old, she had her own suitcase. It was just way easier. And now they have weight restrictions on things for checked baggage so putting some of that in wih yours might go over the weight limit. As far as the carry on we did a mother/daughter one. With diapers it might be easier to take just enough for one day and buy the rest when you get there. Good luck and happy traveling!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i pack my and dh's stuff together, my kids get theirs together. as for what to bring for the kids, all you need is clothes, meds, and yes, bring all meds just to be on the safe side. i didn't bring them all once and everything that could go wrong, did. i brought them all another time and everything went smooth lol. formula, bottles, sippy cups, (for car ride), kid cups (for wherever you're staying) bottle brush (gotta clean the bottles somehow) and a potty chair if you're potty training. diapers, pull-ups, and wipes of course.

if you're driving, i suggest getting an old juicy juice bottle and filling it with water, so you can make bottles on the road. also bring juice for the car ride and some snacks. toys, those are a Godsend on trips, unlike when they're all over the floor at home. coloring books, crayons, books. oh and DVD PLAYER! that's more of a Godsend lol.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• when we go anywhere its to visit family, so i pack an outfit for each day and only 2 extras, they have washing machines and that makes less clothes to drag around. i also only pack enough bottles/sippy cups for one day and will hand wash them if dishes aren't being done that day. diapers, wipes i take enough for the actual trip there and buy more when we get there. we have one large suitcase for us, a smaller one for her. and then a small one w/toys for in the car (we always drive) and a tote bag for rest stops that way i'm not pulling stuff out of a suitcase all the time. and i always put the tote bag and toy suitcase in the seat next to her for easy access. as far as meds, i take motrin, and a cough medicine, if she needs anything else for whatever reason i will buy it on the way or when we get there, and those just go into my makeup/toiletries bag, so does her bath wash/lotion/diaper creme.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• vabchmommy did a better description. lol. i forgot to mention you need a diaper bag or something to carry the stuff you need for bathroom breaks. that way you just grab the kids, the bag, and there you go. if you need to have an overnight stay at a hotel, i found it easier to grab a bookbag, throw everything you need for the night and the next morning, that way you're not digging through suitcases all night, then repacking the next day, i'm with her on the clothes, that's exactly what i do, if i'm gone 7 days, i pack 9 or 10 outfits each. same with cups. that's what dish soap is for. like i said, she described it better than i did, lmao
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• To pack less in your suitcase, invest in those SpaceBags, the kind you either vacuum out the air or roll out the air. saves a lot of space!!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When we travel it is normally going home to see family like a previous post said. They have washing machines so I just bring 3 or 4 outfits per kid (and that is for a month) because i know 1) we can wash them and 2) Grandma is going to buy them more! I put all my kids stuff in their own suitcase together, and they each get one bag for in the car and for staying overnight at a hotel. In that bag (for each of them) is night clothes, a change of clothes, a few toys (coloring books, Crayola color wonder marker sets, Nintendo DS, PSP, books, and their toothbrushes and toothpaste. My daughter also has her hairbands in there and a baby for sleeping with). That way when we get out at a hotel they just grab their bags and I grab one with clothes and toiletries for DH and me, and they know what is in their bags and can repack them in the morning. Also, if you buy laundry detergetn and wash your clothes at the hotel you can pack less!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009